Thursday, November 20, 2014

Guerlain A Night At The Opera Holiday Collection 2014 Petrouchka Eye and Blush Palette


I wasn't in love with last year's Crazy Paris palette but the warm eye shadow colours of this palette just caught my attention. They may be boring neutrals but honestly neutrals are what I wear all the time. I love that instead of lip colours they decided to pair it with blush instead. Very good move Guerlain. The packaging is just gorgeous. Totally in line with a luxurious Night at the Opera.


Instead of a super shiny gold casing, this is a slightly matte so it does not attract fingerprints as much. The palette comes in two tiers. The first tier houses 5 eye shadows and the second tier houses 4 blush shades.





The blush applicator is cute but tiny. I honestly don't see how useful it can be. I love the sponge applicator though. I have used the sponge applicators in the Guerlain palettes before and I really like the sharp triangle shaped end. I love to use it for lining my eyes.




The blush pans are small. They consist of two main blush shades and two smaller highlighter shades. It is somewhat difficult to pick up just one colour using my blush brushes. My blush brushes have big heads. The smallest blush brush I have manages to pick up two shades at one go. 

On to the swatches!


Check out the shades. The three darker shades are gorgeously pigmented. I use the sheer gold shade as a topper shade to add shine and sparkle on my inner lids. The lightest white gold shade works well as a brow highlighter without being too frosty. 


I think the blushes are nicely pigmented. Not too pigmented. Very easy to apply. They last for about 5 hours of wear.


Here is an eye look I wore out the other day. Using the coppery gold shade, third from the top as my main eye lid shade and the white gold shade as a brow highlight.


Then I added the reddish brown shade on the outer corners of my lids blending inwards.


Finally my usual eye liner. I was playing around with my eye liner as you can see.


I used the two bottom pans for my blush here.


I bought this at Nordstrom for USD $90.

There is never a way to justify spending USD $90 for a palette other than the fact that you want to give yourself or someone you love a treat. But what a gorgeous treat it is. If you like warm shadows, this palette will definitely be something you want to look out for. All the eyeshadow shades complement each other for day to night looks. The blushes wear well and blend nicely. 

This seems to be a very sought after palette so if you have your eyes on it, better get it fast.

Ratings: 5+ lipsticks

9 comments:

  1. Hi jacq! I swatched this too but i prefer the texture and colours of the duo in sparkly black and aubergine! Was seriously contemplating it for just a minute and then remembered my other BNIB palettes and then dismissed the thoughts :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kas, as much as I love colours I seem to always reach for neutrals. I couldn't risk not getting this palette so I bought it online the moment it was out. Guess I could have waited. Btw how much does the palette sell in Sg? Would you know? ;)

      Delete
  2. This palette is sooo pretty! I love love the strips of eyeshadows and I love how the stripes are even in size. The blush colors are stunning too! Love how it's in a small compact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharlynn I think Guerlain makes one of the best holiday palettes around.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Whoaa I love your "feathery" eyeliner! I like this palette, but in a way it's also more like a collector's item. The blushes are really great though! I think Guerlain is slowly moving away from their signature tightly-pressed powders to a texture that can be picked up and blended out more easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the most precise but I love how it looks from afar. I know what you mean, the blush duos that were released not so long ago were a disappointment for me. I'm glad the blushes in this palette are good.

      Delete
  4. I didn't like this palette initially cos the shades are so warm and monotonal... but fell in love with it eventually! I'm so glad Guerlain had something for you after last year's disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda, I'm glad you like it now. I love warm beaute also, throw in a gold and I'm sold :) so which is yr favourite holiday palette so far?

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.