Monday, August 25, 2014

Stila Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eye Shadow in Comex Gold and Vintage Black Gold

It has taken me a long time to write a review about these eye shadows. I bought them quite some time back but haven't gotten around to trying them out fully.

I came across these on the internet and were fascinated by the metallic finish of the swatches I saw. I'm like a magpie honestly, I'm attracted to all things shiny and sparkly. I saw them at the local Sephora and on a whim I decided to pick 2 up.

The counter displays were actually quite disgusting to look at. The pots looked mushy and overused. I was however won over by the sparkles.


(Information taken from Sephora website)
What it is: 

A one-of-a-kind, buildable, high-metallic cream eye shadow with a striking foil finish. 



What it does: 

Create a variety of effects with Stila’s revolutionary foil-finish eye shadow that builds from a light, sheer shimmer to a high-metallic opaque. The set includes a deluxe Stay All Day® Liquid Eye Primer, which preps, primes, and creates long-lasting adhesion to lids. It also includes a handy mixing tray for easy use; simply apply, combine and shine. 


This set contains: 
- 0.07 oz Eye Shadow 
- 0.06 oz Primer 

What it is formulated WITHOUT: 
- Sulfates 
- Phthalates

12 shades available







These eyeshadows are housed in screw top metal pots. 





I am very unhappy with the amount of Stay All Liquid Eye Primer. It is only half filled. I understand that you cannot buy this separately. I don't think my bottle can last. This is terrible Stila. How can you give nly a hald filled bottle and the whole thing costs USD $32. So not cool.



The textures of these are kinda soft and mushy feeling. When swatched dry, it is sheer.




You seriously only need the teensiest droplet of the primer. I scoop out some of the eye shadow with my finger and mix that to form a paste. The metallic finish really stands out.


Vintage Black Gold looks like a dirty gold shade. I was hoping it would have more black to it.




Application is kinda tricky. It isn't really blendable so I used this close to my lashes. I find using my fingers the best way. I dab and blend along my lash line. They do stay on without fall out. It lasted my very long and sweaty Saturday classes without smudging or creasing or fall out under my eyes. I can't really use this with other eye shadow products because it is hard to blend.

Here is another eye look using Vintage Black Gold. I used a layer of Laura Mercier's Caviar Stick in Rose Gold as a base.



I did not even realise how chunky the glitters are until I looked at my own pictures. This is definitely not for the subdued.





Guerlain Rouge G in Gigolo, one of my all time favourites



I really love the super bling effect, I think it is really great for parties and evenings out when you want that extra sparkle. If you are looking for refined elegance, you are looking at the wrong place. :)

Application is a hassle though. It doesn't play nicely with other eyeshadows be it powder or cream either. Forget about blending these with other colours.

I think I paid more than SGD $40 at my local Sephora. That is almost the price of a Burberry eye shadow which I adore to bits. For that price, I really expect at least a full sized primer, come on, the bottle is already so tiny. 

I'm not going to buy anymore of these. If I wanted bling I could have gotten better ones for example, the Chanel Illusion d'ombres which are easier to work with although they might not have that full bling effect.

Ratings: 2 lipsticks

2 comments:

  1. the fact that the primer comes with so little product is such a turn off! Definitely would not look into these! Thanks for the honest review!

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't buy these at all! I wanted to take mine out for a spin a few weeks ago and I found the primer to be all dried up. So disappointing, now I have two totally useless products.

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.