Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Food and miscellaneous ramblings

I am stuck at home at the moment, healing from a tooth extraction. How many of you fear the dentist? Me, I am deathly afraid. After watching a very traumatic experience that my mom had to go through when I was young, I decided to avoid the dentist at all costs. As children we were given free dental checkups and services in school but after secondary school I have not gone for a checkup until 5 years ago when I had the worst toothache. It kept me up the whole night and when I managed to see the dentist the next morning it was such a relief to get rid of the pain. I swore I would visit the dentist regularly but  (hides face) I didn't.

Well about more than 2 weeks ago I broke part of my tooth. I lasted about a week before I made myself go to the dentist. The sharp edge was rubbing my tongue and I was talking funny. The tooth was badly decayed and had to come out. I was so scared! I made another appointment to have it out on Monday and so for the previous few days I have been pigging out. 


Sunset Way has bakery gems I tell you. Drips Bakery has the nicest tarts and I just couldn't resist buying one.


Right opposite, Balmoral Bakery has been serving up the bet traditional cream cakes since 1965. I have a fondness for the vanilla cream cakes whereas hubs love the coffee cream cakes. Best eaten straight away, these cakes are soft and fluffy and the cream just enough for it not to be cloying.





Hubs had been trying his hand at baking meats in our little toaster oven. This time round we baked pork with potatoes, squash, carrots and tomatoes.



This was what I prepared for work lunch for the next few days. Spinach and minced meat pasta with cheddar cheese ready to go into the oven. I love my pasta!

So as I was saying, I was a total baby at the dentist yesterday. For one whole week I was freaking out about my impending "doom". Guess what it took less than 5 minutes to take that offending tooth out. The dentist was really kind, he numbed the area with cream before even injecting me so I felt very little. You cannot imagine my relief when I felt my tooth come out. All that freaking out for that. Gee I am embarassed. I am going to hide in shame right now. Have a good weekend people!

6 comments:

  1. That pasta looks amazing! I am avoiding getting two extractions right now and you've kinda made me want to just get it over with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emma, I have yo schedule for another tooth extraction but I'm going to wait a month where I'm less busy. That's what I get for not going to the dentist regularly. The pasta is very easy to make. I fry onions with seasoned minced meat. Then I add either squash or spinach and stir in the pasta. I lay in on an aluminum covered tray and sprinkle cheddar and put in my toaster over for 20 mins to bake. I portion it out and have it for lunch for the next few days. My canteen food sucks so I have to bring my own lunch everyday.

      Delete
  2. I had tooth extractions late last year and the experiences weren't bad at all. This speaking from someone who hates the nasty dentist and the drilling sounds during primary school. I think it goes down to how good and assuring your dentist is. I go to a private one, which is a tad costly but still within reason. Let me know if you want a referral :) Rest well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks babe, I guess I'm not alone in my fear of the dentist. You know what I'll stick to this dentist I'm seeing now, he took a lot of effort to put me at ease and didn't make fun of my scaredy cat behavior. I'm still not looking toward to my next extraction though. I'm going to schedule it in September.

      Delete
  3. The foood looks brilliant! Love the look of all the berries and the cakes look so nice and thick and I love it when there's not too much cream or frosting on the inside layers! Hope your tooth is feeling much better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That area where it has been extracted kinda throbs. It isn't painful but just annoying. If you get a chance Sharlynn do try these, they are so good. I'm trying to stay away though cos they aren't good for my waist line. :)

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.