Thursday, May 15, 2014

Diptyque versus Jo Malone Candles



As you can see, I have recently "upgraded" my candle choices. After trying my first Jo Malone candle in Green Tomato Leaf, I wanted to try a Diptyque candle too. In fact I have walked past the Diptyque counter quite a few times but could not make a decision to buy because everytime I tried to take a sniff of the candles, the scent was so faint I could not smell much. I was afraid that it would be the case if I brought one home.

I finally got one. The SA at the counter gave me some newer ones to sniff and the only scent I liked was Baies. It is described as a bouquet of roses and black current leaves. The trick is to leave it burning for about an hour and the scent will come through.


Personally I find the throw of Jo Malone candles to be further. I'm not sure if it is the scent but both my Orange Blossom and Green Tomato Leaf scents fill up the entire living room and kitchen within a short time, it is not overpowering but has a presence.

My Diptyque has a more subtle throw but somehow after more use, the scent becomes stronger. I tend to use my Diptyque in my bedroom whereas I use my Jo Malone candles I use in my living room.

They are expensive so I use my candles rather sparingly. I love my Yankee Candles too but somehow the scents are just very different. Dare I saw less complex.

Between Jo Malone and Diptyque, I prefer Jo Malone just because there are quite a few scents that I love. I can't seem to find anything that my nose loves except for Baies from Diptyque.

What about you? Do you love scented candles? Which are your favourites?

18 comments:

  1. It could be the scent that I bought from Jo Malone but Baise is much stronger and the hub didn't like it in our bedroom. I end up using it in my personal room when I am relaxing on my own.

    Lately Yankees came up with some new scents which I personally find not too bad, u can go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really cool Ruby, time for a trip to the Yankee Candle store then. We must go together, I miss my fellow enabler. :)

      Delete
  2. I have one candle from Jo Malone but I don't like it that much. I used to love Yankee Candles but now I prefer Bath&Body Works candles:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw... Caise which JM candle was it. We have a Bath and Body Works here but I just haven't had the time to go visit it. I must find the time soon. Which candles did you like from them?

      Delete
    2. it was JM Pomegranate Noir. It's a nice scent but now for a candle in my case. My favorite is Cinnamon Frosting from their winter collection, now I like Raspberry Peach Macaron, it smells like a raspberry yogurt:-)

      Delete
  3. I am so contented with my yankee candles but upon reading this, I wanna try JM. I wanna know how empowering it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finished diptyque cypres. now currently using diptyque genevieve and penhaligon's english fern. love candles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even dare to go into a Penhaligon store yet :) Did you like the Cypres and Genevieve?

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer cypres than genevieve which is a bit too strong for me. haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure I sniffed them and it did not appeal to me. I kinda like floral and fruity scents.

      Delete
  7. Nice reviewww :) I haven't dared myself to venture into these candles yet.. But I think I will soon babe :p.
    Let's see which one I'll choose hahaha..

    Meryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always a thought in my head that I am literally burning my money away but sometimes at home when I want a comforting scent to envelope around me, JM is it. Like right now in this rainy weather, Blackberry and Bay is all around my house, just sniffing it makes me feel happy. :) If you have friends going to BKK, get them to buy for you over there, it is cheaper.

      Delete
  8. You are right! I prefer more woody smell...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. You can find them at Tangs Orchard near the Jo Malone counter.

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.