Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pole Dancing Part 2

Hi there everyone, Happy Boxing Day! I hope you had a great Christmas with your loved ones like I did. 

I thought I would show you my polegress (heh heh) in my pole classes because honestly I'm very proud of what I can do. I may not be as good as many of  my other pole mates (I'm still secretly jealous of how flexible, bendy and strong they are) but I look at where I was and how far I have come, I give myself a pat on the back. It normally takes me weeks before I get a move right or feel confident to do it without support. Every week, our instructor teaches us a new move and we are expected to practice so that by the next week we will be able to do it. For some tougher moves, she would prepare us by getting us to build our strength in certain areas essential for the move.

This is called a single knee hold.


This is the Chinese Knee Hold. I think pole poses have weird names sometimes. 


This is my Superman pose. You know how pole dancers always make everything they do look so easy and effortless. I tell you they are actually screaming on the inside at the pain they have to endure. The first few times when we did this, we were all grimacing because of the inner thigh burns we were getting. Incidentally, I love visiting my pole buddies who have poles at home. This was done at my pole buddy's place. (Hey sweetie!) I wish I had a room dedicated to my pole too.


This is called the Figurehead. This is one pose I curse and swear to get into because I have a very inflexible back. I have to bend backwards from my superman pose and grab the pole with my other hand all the while making sure I don't let go of the pole between my thighs.


My bow and arrow.


My Butterfly pose. I finally fell off the pole a few months back while attempting this. I'm deathly afraid of falling off my pole but I have been telling myself that it has to happen so that I can get over of my fear. There are certain moves that I just can't do if I don't have a mattress underneath me. It's a mental thing. The moment I don't see a mattress, I get sweaty palms and I'm more likely to fail. Well I was in class without a mattress and I let go of the wrong leg. My spotter could not catch me in time. That moment when you know you are about the crash onto the floor is terrifying. I hit the side of my face and had a bump on the head. I didn't know my ear could bruise and turn blue black. But tada! After this fall, I remember which leg to let go of permanently.


We are learning to do combinations in class. That means we transition from one move to another to music. I still have a long way to go to look graceful on the pole or even be on time with the music.

Here are some pictures of my wonderful pole friends. I love the pole friends I make. Everyone is very supportive and helpful. 





Do you have a favourite fitness routine? I would love to hear about it.

6 comments:

  1. My look like a pro. You got the moves girl. You have great upper body strength to do this. Keep it up. I wish I can do this for all I can do is brisk walking =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Julie you are very kind, thank you. You know what, I started my fitness journey by brisk walking because I was so unfit I couldn't walk any longer than 10 minutes. That was five years back. Good for you that you are exercising my dear, keep it up too. Lets give ourselves pats on the back for exercising. :)

      Delete
  2. I have never seen a pole in someone's home before, I think it's so exciting I just had to comment, i'm usually lurking for makeup so it's nice to see other passions that we makeup lovers have. You're really great! Yoga is my thing and for an over 50's gal, i'm pretty good at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lily you look amazing :) I'm glad my hubs doesn't mind having the pole right smack in the middle of the living room. Lol. Yoga looks like fun too, I just don't have the time to pick up any more hobbies or I would love to try yoga too.

      Delete
  3. Oh my God you've GOT to be kidding me! You can do so many amazing things with your body! I'd probably fall off (assuming I can even get myself up the pole), cry, and go home! Amazing progress, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you won't :) you will be amazed at what you can do, it is all about baby steps. Thank you my dear!

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.