Friday, June 14, 2013

Maldives: The Travel Edition

Visiting Maldives is on my bucket list since forever. The moment I saw pictures of the beautiful turquoise sea and the villas over the water I knew I had to go there to visit. So this June holidays, I managed to convince DH to go. It was 6 days of bliss.


In order to get to Maldives you need to fly to Male. You have to fly pass Sri Lanka (southeast of Sri Lanka I think). The journey takes about 4 and a half hours from Singapore. Ibrahim Nasir International airport is on an island by itself. To get to the city of Male you have to take a speedboat. Usually most tourists skip the city and head out to their individual resorts.




The thing was Maldives is, it is not the most accessible place. In order to get to your resort you either need to take a speedboat if your resort is near the airport but most tourists need to take an air taxi. They are not cheap. And flight schedules are finicky depending on the weather. They also don't fly at night so if you happen to land in Male at night be prepared to wait till the morning to fly  to your resort. We arrived on a cloudy and somewhat rainy day so we had to wait for a good 4 hours at the air taxi terminal before we could fly out to our resort. So be patient. As Singaporeans we expect things to run like clockwork and it doesn't in reality so we had to manage our expectations.



I chose Centara Grand was because it was ranked highly as a family resort. I wanted to make sure DS had things to do on the island. They had a kids camp but unfortunately catered more towards younger children. They are also the few resorts that allow families with children to book the above water villas. 

These resorts are usually all inclusive. This means that the room you book comes with meals and drinks. Prices of things in Male are exorbitant so a lunch for family of three can come up to USD $150. So in order not to worry about this we chose the all inclusive which meant all meals are included plus afternoon tea and drinks and daily spa treatments.

I'm glad we chose Centara because our stay was excellent. The staff was very friendly especially with children. We felt so welcomed.



The first glimpse of the island as we took the ferry after our air taxi flight was breathtaking. Our adventure was about the begin.



These are the steps leading to the water at our villa. We basically snorkeled here everyday. The marine life is abundant and beautiful.



DS could not wait to get into the water. This was the only time he swam outside our villa. He was scared by the waves and was also afraid of stepping on the corals so we decided it was safer for him to snorkel in the lagoon instead.



Gorgeous sunsets everyday. Sigh.


This is us swimming in the lagoon.








The marine life was awesome. It took me a while to get used to snorkeling and to be honest I was quite scared. But after two days I managed to overcome it. I am so happy we bought the Nikon Coolpix AW110. It is a great underwater camera. We had lots of fun taking pictures and videos. Let me just say it is hard to get good pictures of fish. They don't they stay still! There are the few that I thought was pretty good for amateurs.

Clown fish hiding in sea anemone

Photobombed by a white tipped reef shark


My favourite picture of all, a school of angelfish that swam past us.


Its either a clam or a different kind of coral.

Closeup



This poor sea turtle was rescued by the divers at the Dive Centre. It was found caught in a net. Its flippers are severely damaged and they kept him there to recuperate. I hope this guy survives.


All good things must end. I will take with me my memories of the night sky filled with stars and the beautiful sea breeze as I sipped my morning tea sitting with my leg dangling off the platform. Maldives, I'll be back!

17 comments:

  1. wow! beautiful pictures! visitng Maldives has been on my bucket list since middle school:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gorgeous place Caise, I'm not suffering from Maldives withdrawal. Boo!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous pictures!! Maldives is also on my list of places to visit and your pictures have bumped it up the list quite a bit! Looks like the perfect chill out vacation =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, the all inclusive package is definitely worthwhile. I get spa treatments everyday and daily excursions for free. Plus I took daily yoga and zumba classes too. Well worth it.

      Delete
  3. Maldives in on my bucket list, too! :) How incredible it must have been to go there! These pictures are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took quite a while to get there but I'm glad I visited. The snorkeling was fantastic. We took joy spotting new varieties of fish everyday. It won't be my last visit, I'll definitely go back one day.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a trip! I enjoyed your write up and your photos. DS is getting to be quite the little expert photobomber, eh? And, I can't believe we got not one, but TWO, photos of your husband (albeit his back)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Boo Boo muaks! Heh heh hubby wants to remain anonymous so the only pictures I'm allowed to post are of his back.

      Delete
    2. ;) I remember -- and that's why I haaadddd to point it out. :D

      Delete
  5. OMG wow! So happy you had a fun filled and safe vacation :) Maldives is new to me so I've learnt that it's a gorgeous place! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jen, if you love the beach and don't ind getting a tan, this is a gorgeous place to visit.

      Delete
  6. That's one of my must-visit destinations too! Loving the turquoise-colored waters and the corals and fishes. Enjoy your vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Joyce. It kinda sucks to be back but I'm already dreaming of the next time I'll be back.

      Delete
  7. WOW WOW WOW!!! AMAZING PHOTOS! I especially love the underwater shots! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jade I am loving my new Nikon Coolpix AW 110. Makes us look like pros when in actual fact we just snap like crazy and hope for the best

      Delete
  8. Wow what a beautiful holiday you had! It's my dream to visit Maldives soon :)
    You look glowing in those pictures, I'm sure you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meryl dear I had a wonderful time I was so relaxed.

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.