Friday, May 24, 2013

Illamasqua Powder Blush in Lover swatches and review



I have been told that Illamasqua blushes are good and have been recommended by quite a few friends to try them since I'm such a blush whore. I never got around to buying any of these so when I found this in the paper bag that Ruby from Miaka's Life and Loves passed to me as part of Project Swap, I was absolutely excited.

(Information taken from Illamasqua website)

ALC, DIMETHYLIMI- DAZOLIDINONE RICE STARCH, MICA, AQUA (WATER), MAGNESIUM MYRISTATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, OCTYLDODECANOL, ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE, GLYCERYL STEARATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, PEG-150, SILICA, RICINUS COMMUNIS OIL (RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL), CETEARYL ALCOHOL, QUATERNIUM-26, METHYLPARABEN, GLYCERYL RICINOLEATE, ETHYLPARABEN,CERA CARNAUBA (COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX), CANDELILLA CERA(EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX), SODIUM CETEARYL SULFATE, STEARIC ACID, PROPYLPARABEN, CERA MICROCRISTALLINA (MICROCRYSTALLINE WAX), TETRAHYDROXYPROPYL ETHYLENEDIAMINE, PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM (MINERAL OIL), CETYL ALCOHOL,CERA ALBA(BEESWAX), PARFUM (FRAGRANCE) AND MAY CONTAIN: [+/- TITANIUM DIOXIDE CI 77891, IRON OXIDES CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, CARMINE CI 75470, ULTRAMARINES CI 77007, RED 36 CI 12085,  YELLOW 5 LAKE CI 19140, RED 7 CI 15850, RED 21 LAKE CI 45380, BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE CI 77163, YELLOW 6 LAKE CI 15985, MANGANESE VIOLET CI 77742, FERRIC FERROCYANIDE CI 77510, RED 40 LAKE CI 16035, RED 27 LAKE CI 45410] MAY CONTAIN CARMINE AS A COLOUR ADDITIVE. STOP USE IF IRRITATION OCCURS. 
Made in Germany



To be honest, I am not in love with the bulky packaging. It could have been slimmer which will make it easier to tote around.





I love the colour! For my skin tone, I find peaches, oranges and corals more natural looking on me. I love the bright matte peach orange. When I swatched it, I was amazed at how pigmented it was. It is powdery though and kicks up a bit of powder when I used a brush or finger on it.



Knowing hat it was quite pigmented, I purposely used my MAC 187 Duo Fiber brush to pick up the pigment. Quite a bit of pigment was picked up and I had to shake the excess. It took a few swipes to get the intensity that I want. 

I don't usually like my blush to show up too strongly so I hope you are able to see the colour on my cheeks. These days I wear my fotds out so I don't intensify any of the colours although it will show up better in pictures.

Here is the entire look that went with the blush.



Eyes:
NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base

SUQQU Blend Eye shadow in EX-06 Usuchaori

Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Liner in Black (trying out for the first time, will be reviewed)
Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Black
Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill Waterproof mascara



Lips:
Lancome Le Lipstique in Inspire
Dior Addict in Fire

Base:

Make Up For Ever High Definition Primer
Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua
Make Up For Ever High Definition Powder

Cheeks:
Illamasqua Powder Blush in Lover


You can get Illamasqua products from ASOS which also provides free international shipping. This blush costs about SGD $39 which is a pretty good price I must say for a really nice blush. It may not be as finely milled or elegantly packaged as compared to its luxe sisters but the colour and pigmentation definitely makes up for it.

Ratings: 4+ lipsticks

7 comments:

  1. Hey Jaqueline, I frickking LOVE Lover on you! It shows up well and seems nicely pigmented! I won a Katie/Ambition duo in a giveaway. Only just got around to photographing it. I'll have to try it on to see how it works, but it does pack a lot of pigmentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw.. thanks Sunny. I am loving it a lot too, I might just overlook the packaging and get one for myself. I saw the duos and there was actually one with Lover and Hussy if I'm not mistaken but it was OOS at ASOS. I bet you are ging to like Kate/Ambition. But I must say it does kick up quite a bit of powder when you run it through with a brush.

      Delete
  2. I like the complimentary blush/lip pairing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lover was my first Illamasqua blush! And I hated the colour as it made my whole face look orange. It looks good on you though. ;)

    Btw, I'm very curious to know how you used MAC 187 with this blush. Reason I'm asking is because the 2 times I used 187 with Illamasqua blushes, I got extremely alarmed... The brush kicked up soooo much powder that it looked as though the brush was scrapping the blush away while picking up so little pigments on the bristles. I cannot fathom how 187 can be used as a powder blush brush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always apply the blush first, then go over with setting powder/foundation to reduce its starkness.

      Delete
    2. Instead of sweeping the brush across I tap it onto the blush. The illamasqua blushes are very powdery so any kind of blush brush I use even the softest one kicks up lots of powder. I only use my 187 for those blushes that are really super pigmented because it picks up only a little pigment.

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.