Saturday, March 9, 2013

Tiong Bahru Bakery


I love baked goodies. I have been hearing about Tiong Bahru Bakery and have seen many pictures and that has piqued my interest. I finally managed to convince DH and DS to make a trip down to Tiong Bahru so we hunted for this bakery. It is near the Tiong Bahru market. 

Tiong Bahru Bakery is a small sized cafe and it is very crowded on the Sunday morning that we visited. We couldn't find a place to sit so we bought stuff to try and headed to the market to eat our brunch. Everything smells very good so it was very hard to decide what to buy.



These are among some of the things we bought. I don't remember what this is called but it is the most delicious thing we had. It is a sugared croissant. We bought two and DS and I were fighting for every morsel.


This is the chocolate almond croissant. I didn't like this much because it was very dense and moist in the middle and very sweet. I notice that the paper bags which our goodies were kept were very greasy by the time we came home so it is best to eat it as soon as you can.


DS enjoying his bacon and cheese bun in the market.



When I was very young, my mom used to bring me to the old Tiong Bahru market on Sundays for breakfast. That place held many wonderful food memories. We had high hopes that we would find good food at the renovated market. Perhaps we didn't pick the right stalls but the food was not as good as I hoped. I did however eat a good bowl of tau hway (bean curd).


Walking around the Tiong Bahru estates is like a blast from the past. The flats here are very different from the modern flats of today. I hope they don't tear them down because we need these old buildings. Sometimes I just feel that we are changing to fast.










After brunch we decided to go to Ikea to shop for pots. We are growing peanut plants! DS was smittened by this red snake which he brought home.


Have you visited Tiong Bahru market? Do you have any recommendations for good food that we should try?

18 comments:

  1. I remember during our meet up, you said you really wanted make a visit there. And finally a visit to Tiong Bahru :) I love the kouign aman to bits too.. My fave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meryl, I went the day after I met you ladies. So that's what it is called, it's damn good. I'll go back just to eat that.

      Delete
  2. Jacq, our next gathering should be held at tiong bahru bakery at raffles city branch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy, especially the one with the chocolate and the almonds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one called the kouign aman (finally leanred what its called ;) is much better though.

      Delete
  4. You know, Tiong Bahru is one place I rarely venture to. Perhaps only twice in my life time haha! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to believe that there are hidden gems of good food place but I have yet to find them. I think I need more time to explore Tiong Bahru. My first food memory is the Chwee Kway which now can be found practically everywhere.

      Delete
    2. Both times I went there were for food too! I can't remember what I'd gotten though, probably their Hokkien Mee - the stall has since moved :(

      Delete
    3. Joyce, I can't seem to get good Hokkien Mee anymore sigh, you are making me hungry :(

      Delete
    4. The best Hokkien Mee, in recent memory, is the one at 313's FoodCourt! GO GO GO!

      Delete
  5. The first one is called Kouign Amann! It's incredible, I love it. I also like their regular almond croissants but yes all their pastries are very buttery. But so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, they were sinfully good, I hope to go again soon because I can't seem to get the Kouign Amann out of my mind and I want to try their coffee which I heard is also good.

      Delete
  6. I tried the first one before upon the staff's recommendation and my goodness it was the tastiest bread I've ever eaten!
    I had relatives living in one of those Tiong Bahru apartments when I was really young and though it's now more 30 yrs ago, I can still remember climbing the stairways, and the large, bright, airy rooms and the rather unique design of a "corridor" within the apartment flanked by bedrooms on one side and large windows on the other.
    The new food centre is just like any other food centre in Singapore. Gone are the flavours and charms of the old market. Also gone are the stalls selling the original Tiong Bahru chwee kueh, chicken rice, char kway teow, pig's organs soup. So sad :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nonno, I remember the original Chwee Kueh, that was my childhood favourite and the pig organ soup. Back then they served it with pig blood cubes which was just awesome and delectable. I'm hungry now. Lucky you to get a peek inside the old houses, I always wondered what the inside looked like.

      Delete
  7. THOSE CROISSANTS! They look waaaay too delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunny, they were worth every single guilty calorie.

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.