Thursday, February 7, 2013

Three Flash Performance Eyeliner pencil No. 8 Eye On Swatches and Review


My search of the perfect eye pencil / eye liner is something that has cost me a lot of money and sometimes embarrassment. I have countless faux pas with unintended smudgy eyes during so many occasions that it has become a obsessive habit of mine to check my eyes in any mirror or reflective surface where ever I go. 

I am plagued with the world oiliest eye lids and watery eyes. I tear at the drop of a hat. All eye pencils smudge on me period. So I have a dark and deep quest to finally find the one true eye pencil that will not smudge and wear of in the face of my oily and teary eyes.

So when someone whispers of a eye pencil that is smudge proof, my ears perk up and my fantasy of well defined eyes that last on me the whole day start going through my head. 

My dear long time reader KS tempted me with pictures and reviews of the Three Flash Performance eyeliners. Kate from Drivol about Frivol one of my favourite blogs sang praises about them. Two other fantastic blogs Front Row Beauty and So Lonely in Gorgeous had such great reviews and swatches that I had no choice but ask very nicely if KS could buy me one so that I can finally realise my dreams of smudgeless eyes.




This pencil is 3150 yen, I paid about SGD$46 for it. It is the most I have paid for any eye pencil.


I really like the inclusion of the soft plastic smudger. It does a great job of smudging the liner. With the smudger, I can easily do a simply smoky eye in seconds which I love.


I received this pencil on a Thursday night, I took it out the very next day to try it out. So the tip isn't sharp when I took this picture.


No. 08 Eye On is a black pencil with minimal silver sparkles. It is very creamy and glides across my lids easily. I love that it doesn't tug or pull.

Left to right: Three and Clio Gelpresso

As you can see, it resisted vigorous rubbing.


After a saline bath, it didn't fare very well.



As much as I love the creaminess of this eye pencil but it did not survive the whole day on my lids, it got smudgy by the third hour. I did find that if I layered some black shadow over it, it would last about an hour longer. It totally did not survive my teary eyes. 

Some mornings I yawn so much that I have tears in the corner of my eyes. I do a mad scramble to try and stop them before they smear my eye makeup. The eye pencil still smeared all over. Sigh!

As much as I want to love this pencil, I am not falling head over heels with it. It did not do what it was intended to, stay on my lids.

For ladies who have no such issues as mine, this is a great luxe eye pencil to won. It does not tug on your eye and glides very well. It sets quickly too and is more smudge proof than the other eye pencils I own. 

Ratings: 3 lipsticks (It is expensive and unfortunately does not work on me that well.)

19 comments:

  1. Oh no! I too have the same issues with oily lids and super watery eyes (especially bad in the mornings!) so I can really sympathise :(
    I'm currently using Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof pencils which in general works the best so far... however I've found some colours perform better than others. Both black pencils (Ebene and Noir Intense) smudge on me :( Cassis is better but can still smudge a little on especially teary days. The most reliable for me has been Expresso - long lasting and no smudging. I'm still on my quest to find a HG black pencil too :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen I own the Chanel tylo Yeux too and it smudges on me too! Sigh, I also just recently bought the Giorgio Armani one. Still smudges but it one of the creamiest one I own. Sigh, I guess I have to live with smudgy eyes.

      Delete
    2. What are your thoughts on gel eyeliner? I've been told that its a saviour for oily lids but I really don't know if I can be bothered with a brush every morning :(
      Would love to know if you've tried any!

      Delete
    3. I tried Gwen :( MAC, Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Kate, Maybelline... still smudges.

      Delete
    4. Try a brand called Inglot, their gel eyeliners are intense to remove! I suffer from very oily lids as well and it doesn't budge on me.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that this still smudges on you dear. I would really love to try Three product if I could :) Anyway, what's your HG eyeliner so far?

    Btw Gong Xi Fat Chai to u!

    Meryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meryl the only liner that comes close to HG status for me is the Make Up For Ever Aqua Liner, the liquid version. Gig Xi Fai Cai to you too babe!

      Delete
  3. Awww... Sorry to hear that this smudges too. A BA told me recently that smudging could be due to the shape of the eyes/eyelids. I'm beginning to think that's the case for me as my upper lids are very hooded so the upper lash lines come into constant contact with the lower lids thus causing the colour transfer.

    Anyway, this is off topic... How highly would you recommend LMdB kaleidoscope blush kit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh, I am forever going to have to contend with smudgy eyes. That is just such a bummer. The blush kit is just lovely. I basically can take this for travelling and I can mix and match it to my hearts contend. The colour is soft and pigmented. Great choice Nonno.

      Delete
  4. Ouch I'm so sorry to hear it doesn't last :( The color is cool and it looks so creamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunny it is a creamy eye liner that doesn't tug on the lids. But truth be told I recently acquired the Giorgio Armani version, even though it smudges too I like it better that this. Have you tried the GA one? It is really lovely for non oily lidded ladies.

      Delete
  5. ­čśĘ I'm sorry to read they didn't work out. Sometimes makeup can be aggravating. I gave up on looking for a good concealer. I'm annoyed with disappointment. (However... I *have* been eying an undereye illuminator pen that may do the trick. I'm waiting for a sale. Hopefully I'll be in better spirits by then!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a die hard, I still think maybe there is something out there for me. lol

      Delete
  6. Joyce September has left a new comment on your post "Three Flash Performance Eyeliner pencil No. 8 Eye ...":

    Have you tried Lancome's Le Stylo eyeliner? It's the most intense and long-lasting product I've tried!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have u tried the milani liquid infinite liners? They are super waterproof and requires a strong eye makeup remover to take off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crissylex, I'm so sorry for replying so late. I just found your comment. I haven't tried them, thanks for the recc, I'll go check them out.

      Delete
  8. you should invest in the eyebrow sealant from any daiso in japan. only 100 yen, and it waterproofs eyebrows and eyelines. hall of fame item for four years on japan's makeupalley, cosme.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the recc. I tried the Make Up For Ever Sealant before but without much success. It made my eye liner smudge everywhere. I'll keep a lookout for the Daiso version.

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.