Saturday, February 23, 2013

My red lipstick collection


I wanted to show you my red lipsticks.

You know, I wasn't always in love with red lipsticks. I have full lips and was always worried about how obvious they looked. Red lips was a no no for me because I didn't want people looking at me. When I was younger I lacked self-confidence. I always felt that people were looking at me.

As I mature, I realise that actually no one is looking. I picked up hobbies that build my self-confidence. Makeup for me now is a form of expression. I don't mind experimenting and I realise that hey my full lips is actually suitable for reds and brights. I have not looked back since.

My very first red lipstick was from Chanel called Lune Rousse. It is a deep maroon red. It is the fifth swatch from the right. I still kept it all these years even though I hardly use it anymore.


From left to right: Guerlain Rouge G Gala, Chanel Rouge Allure Passion, Chanel Rouge Allure Byzantine, Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet La Fascinante, Chanel Hydrabase Lune Rousse, Giorgio Armani Rouge d'Armani 400, Burberry Lip Cover Brick Red, Burberry Lip Cover Velvet Fuchsia Pink, Guerlain Rouge Automatique L'huere Bleure and Estee Lauder Wild Fire. 



From left to right: Guerlain Rouge G Gala, Chanel Rouge Allure Passion, Chanel Rouge Allure Byzantine, Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet La Fascinante and Chanel Hydrabase Lune Rousse


From left to right: Giorgio Armani Rouge d'Armani 400, Burberry Lip Cover Brick Red, Burberry Lip Cover Velvet Fuchsia Pink, Guerlain Rouge Automatique L'huere Bleure and Estee Lauder Wild Fire. 

The trick with reds is you need to find one that suits your colouring. The wrong red just looks garish. With fuller lips like mine, go for matte versions with a hint of shine. Stay away from glosses or shiny reds because they will only emphasize how thick your lips are.

I always love a good creamy luxe red lipstick. My favourite texture has to be the Burberry Lip Cover Velvets and the Giorgio Armani Rouge d'Armani.

If you haven't worn a red lipstick before, go ahead try one. You never know how you like it until you tried it.

18 comments:

  1. Hey girlie, I've been too chicken to wear a red lipstick. Thanks for the big kick in the butt. I think I'll try one the next time I go shopping for MU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Natasha, you must try one. If you are worried that it is too difficult to pull off wear a sheer version.

      Delete
  2. I used to totally stay away from reds because I always felt they made my face look v pale (like I wore wrong foundation shade).. until I found MAC Brave Red. No turning back since. My fave reds for now are MAC Russian Red, MUFE Moulin Rouge and Burberry's Lip Glow in Ruby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kas, those are lovely reds. I used to worry about my face feeling pale too. So I always add a little contouring. But for me I need to emphasize my eyes too or else I look weird.

      Delete
  3. Your red lipsticks collection is impressive!! I agree with you on going matte if one has fuller lips. The 2 red lip products that I have are matte too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay I think I have to buy a Burberry matte red for me! Your red lipstick collection is gorgeous, it's always nice to see an extensive collection of beautiful lipstick like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to Meyl, Military Red is so pretty.

      Delete
  5. Ahhh Lovely post :D I remember you asked me to do one and I've been meaning to! Soon, I promise but I probably won't fit it all into one post hehe... Nice picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paris, I can't wait to see your red lipstick collection, it must be gorgeous.

      Delete
  6. OOOO that's a lot of red lipsticks!!! I only own GA 400 in the liquid lipstick form, but otherwise nothing in my collection overlaps with yours! Thanks for putting so many wonderful red lippies on my map. Looks like I'll need a lot more than what I have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Sunny I'm terrible. I have yet to buy the Lip Maestro. Try the Burberry Lip Cover Sunny, you will love it.

      Delete
  7. Red is my favorite lip color, i wear almost all the time: D but after reading this post I have so many more I want to add to my collection.They are all beautiful:) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rofique, isnt red such a lovely feminine and confident colour. When I wear nude colours I just feel like I look so washed out. I can't help buying red lipsticks. S which would you want to try first?

      Delete
    2. Yup, it's one that every woman can and should wear!! So true, infact i look tired and colorless if I am not wearing my red lippies. swatches of chanel rouge allure
      passion and wild fire looks just gorgeous, haha I wanna get them all!!!!

      Delete
    3. Rofique, great choices! But I'm not sure of you can get wild fire anymore, if you don't mind used lipsticks I can send you mine, it doesn't get much love from me because it is even too bright for me, send me an email if you are interested.

      Delete
    4. Hey thanks Jacqueline, that's so sweet of you, really appreciate it :D i just noticed the wild fire shade kinda looks like nivea fruity shine strawberry (when layered).... guess i will skip this one (: Guerlain Rouge G Gala and Chanel Rouge Allure Byzantine looks equally gorgeous, like i said they are all awesome:) you really have an amazing collection!!!! btw have you tried Russian Red? it's my favorite xo

      Delete
    5. Nope I have not tried Russian Red yet ;) I'm definitely going to swatch it the next time I happen to be in a MAC store, thanks for the recommendation. I just recently got my hand on Burberry's Military Red and a Rimmel red lipstick. I can't wait to use them and post up pictures.

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.