Sunday, January 20, 2013

All about eye primers


I love primers. Primers are a godsend for ladies like me. I have very oily lids and teary eyes. If I do not use primers, my eye  make up will either smudge or disappear on me before half of my work day is through. I don't work in an air conditioned office all the time, half of my time is spent outside and half spent running around in the office so my primers must be workhorses for me.

I have been using Urban Decay's Primer Potion for many many years. I still like it but I don't love dealing with the packaging. The packaging creates a lot of wastage and it is a hassle to cut the bottle to get to the left over product.

I bought Too Faced Shadow Insurance after reading that it works just as well as Urban Decay. I like the nozzle squeeze tube a lot more.

I picked up the Too Faced Glitter Glue to deal with some of my glittery eye shadow that refuse to stay put on my lids.

My latest primer acquisition is Nars Smudge proof Eye Shadow Base which dear Elaine recommended. 




Too Faced Glitter Glue is the tackiest of all the primers. My eye shadows stay put but darn it it is hard to blend different shadows together. My trick is to only use this only where I want my glittery eye shadow and my other primers everywhere else. I seriously don't think you need this unless you use a lot of loose pigments or glitter. USD $18.





Too Faced Shadow Insurance is creamy and leaves a transparent base. I have no issues so far with it. USD $18.


  


USD $24. I paid SGD$36 which I thought was a great deal.

I took a very sheer and glittery eye shadow to test and compare.


As you can see the Glitter Glue grabs the eye shadow like nobody's business thus made the best swatch. The Shadow Insurance and Nars Smudge Proof Eye Shadow fared equally well. I had my Urban Decay for a very long time now and the consistency has somewhat changed, so I think that is the reason why the swatch was the weakest. I threw out my UDPP immediately after this by the way.

Freshly applied. Left to right: Too Faced Glitter Glue, Too Faced Shadow Insurance, Nars Smudge Proof Eye Shadow base and Urban Decay Primer Potion


After two hours
I forgot all about my arm swatches until after two hours later and saw them till on my arm. I thought it was a good opportunity to see how they fared from the constantly rubbing against my clothes. Again Glitter Glue fared the best while Nars came in second.

Packaging
Here Too Faced Shadow Insurance wins because of its squeeze tube design. I can still cut the tube to get out the remaining product but not the Nars or Urban Decay. Also prefer squeezing out my product than using an applicator. Applicators can get contaminated more easily because the applicator is introduced back into the tube. Incidentally, I recently checked Urban Decay's website, the primer potions now come in squeeze tubes too.

Performance
In terms of tenacity and blendability, Nars marries both well. It blends well and keeps eye shadow colours intense and fade and smudge proof.

Price
UD USD $20 0.37 oz
Too Faced USD $18 0.35 oz
Nars USD $24 0.28 oz

If you are a normal pressed eye shadow wearer I think the Nars Smudge proof Eye Shadow base will be a great choice especially if you always have issues with fading eye shadows and want intense colours.

If you have special loose glitter or loose pigment that you want to make sure stays on your lids, the Too Faced Glitter Glue can be a useful addition but you still need your normal primer. 

If you normally do not have oily lid issues, I think the Too Faced Shadow Insurance will work just nicely for you at a cheaper price.

Again I will say this, if you can get your friends to buy it in the US for you, it would be best, all these primers are marked up quite high here in Singapore.

16 comments:

  1. I only have tried UDPP and Nars primer. Both works fine with me. I agree with you on the UDPP packaging, it wastes so much product! But I love the new packaging dear, it's squeezable and hence it makes less chance of having leftovers.

    Meryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am almost finishing both my Too Faced primer and my NARS primer and I'm thinking which one to replenish.

      Delete
  2. I have also this Too Faced and it doesn't work in my case. I also bought this one from NARS but I've been ill for the last month so I am not wearing any makeup so I haven't tried it yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Caise, I hope you are feeling better. I'm itching to try out a new primer. I now Make Up For Ever has one so I'm thinking of trying that too. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, thanks for stacking these up against each other! Very helpful!

    I am a fan of UDPP. The new packaging is way more convenient too! I got NARS last summer and while it works about just as well for me, it is more expensive and the packaging has the same type of problem with the old UDPP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After my primers finish, I'm going to go experiment with others. There is a MUFE lid primer I'm interested in. Do you use any others Sunny?

      Delete
  4. I really liked TFSI when I first tried it but on my second tube I wasn't so much of a fan, UDPP works better for me, I find it a bit drier than TFSI and now that they have similar packaging to TFSI, I'd go with UDPP any day. I don't really have oily lids, but need to wear a primer or I have terrible eye irritation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Rachel, does eye shadows irritate your eyes. I seriously hate my oily lids, nothing stays on for long.

      Delete
    2. It's terrible actually, I can't wear so many brands because of eye irritation. Generally the softer they are, the worse they are for me, probably because there is more fallout. Stila and Becca had me in pain within half an hour, and most Japanese brands a couple hours before it starts hurting. The ones I can wear all day with zero issues are UD and MAC and luckily, they've got a good range so it's not really a problem. Also stops me from buying more stuff!

      Delete
    3. Rachel, on one hand I'm glad you can resist buying more shadows but on the other hand what a pity. Did you ever find out hitch ingredient gives you trouble?

      Delete
  5. Super interesting post my darling! I'm currently in love with TF Shadow Insurance :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are loving it. I currently alternate my TFSI and NARS, they are running out soon so time to experiment.

      Delete
  6. My first primer was NYX HD High Definition Eye Base (with the doe-foot applicator). It was great for the price, but I didn't like how it dried a chalky colour on my lids and made blending slightly difficult. I picked up Too Faced Shadow Insurance over the holidays and fell in love with its slip, texture, colour, packaging, and blendability factor. Unfortunately, I think I'm allergic to the Bismuth Oxychloride! I may try it again as I really do like TFSI. Also, Bismuth Oxychloride is present in UDPP and the NARS Smudge Proof Eye Shadow Base. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo boo I guess it is a common ingredient in primers. I'll look around and see if there are good primers out there without Bsmuth Oxychloride if I find one I'll let you know.

      Delete
  7. I've also been using UDPP for some time now. I tried using the Laura Mercier one, but instead of helping me to prevent my eyeshadows from creasing or smudging, the pdt itself sort of "melted" and left a visible beige line across my eyelid. Well, it never saw the light of day again. So back to UDPP again for me :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you hate it when a product doesn't work. I'll avoid the LM one. I'm thinking of trying the MUFE when my NARS primer runs out.

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.