Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Bangkok- The Travel Edition

Merry Christmas everyone!

I want to share with you pictures I took of my Bangkok trip. I went with my colleagues for 5 glorious days of shopping and eating. :)

The last time I went to Bangkok was in 2006. After the unrest going on there, I didn't feel it was safe to go. When my colleagues mooted the idea of going I jumped at the chance. This was a vacation solely for myself.
Taken from the cab going towards Bangkok city
Pardon the messy room, I was too excited about everything that by the time I got to taking pictures of the room, it is a little messed up. We stayed at Grand Sukhumvit Hotel which is just a 5 minute walk away from Nana BTS station. The location is very ideal as it is just 3 stops away from the main shopping district. Prices are also affordable.

View of the hotel from Nana BTS

Don't you love a room with a kitchen?

Spent everyday soaking in that tub!


Taking the BTS is a much faster way to get around but it is slightly more expensive. It is best to get the Rabbit store value card so you don't have to queue every time you want a ticket. The trains are crowded. You need to push your way in and squeeze to come out. Not a good place to bring your baby strollers. The taxis are cheaper but during peak periods you can get stuck in a jam for an hour even though your destination is nearby.

Me and my Rabbit card!


Platinum Mall is a good place for bargain hunters. There are 5 levels of women's fashion, 1 level dedicated to children's fashion and accessories and a ginormous food court. The clothes are cheap but you aren't allowed to try them. So what you buy is a hit or miss. I bought 3 dresses for about SGD$40. But in the end they were not good buys because they weren't not made well and didn't fit my body. :( I did get great accessories and clothes for both DS and DH. Honestly you need to be slim to buy the clothes there.


Terminal 21 is a relatively new shopping mall with an interesting concept. Every level has a city theme so many photo taking opportunities. There are a total of 9 levels of shopping.




Rome.





Tokyo.






London.




Here are some more pictures I took of Terminal 21.



I fell I love with this ultra blingy gown. So gorgeous!



The above pictures were taken on the 23rd. It was very busy and crowded. Just look at the traffic.




These are my "modest" buys.


You know what is the best part of a holiday, coming home.

Have you been to Bangkok before, what do you love about the place?

14 comments:

  1. Love Thai food!! Tom Yum Goong, Phad Thai, Mango salad.. yummy!!

    Looks like an awesome trip for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THE SHOPPING AND THE FOOD!!
    Man, I'm in love with Bangkok just for this things ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Jacqueline! Looks like you had a fabulous vacation! I could probably spend an entire day in Terminal 21 -- it's huge! Bangkok seems like it would be so much fun!

    Best wishes for the New Year,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shannon, I hope you had a great Christmas too! I thoroughly enjoyed myself and can't wait to go back again. I bet you will have lots of fun in Bangkok too.

      Delete
  4. hey Jacq!
    Merry Christmas from both of us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meryl and Monica, I hope you ladies had a fantastic Christmas too.

      Delete
  5. Heys Jacqueline!! Hope euu had a great great Christmas!! Seasons best wishes to euu and family!!
    Nice photoes!! Thanks for sharing!! Looked like a fun and eventful holiday!!!!

    Happy Boxing Day and enjoying your pressies!!:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks YJ, I hope you are enjoying your pressies too.

      Delete
  6. Merry Christmas Jacq! Bangkok is great, I love the food so much. Haven't been there for ages though, combination of being really busy, preferring more resort/getaway type holidays and the floods and unrest in Bangkok. I've not been to Terminal 21, it's a cute concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rachel, ow have you been? I have the same reasons for not going but it was lovely to be back, going with the right group of people certainly made it all the more fun. Happy Boxing Day!

      Delete
    2. I've been great, thanks :) My term ended a couple weeks ago but I didn't come back to Singapore. My boyfriend came over for a few weeks which was amazing, but now I've got a lot of work to do before term starts again. Weather's been really mild for winter, which is lovely though it means we don't get a white Christmas!

      Delete
    3. Rachel you are very hardworking! It must have been a lovely time for you and your bf. so happy for you.

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.