Friday, November 2, 2012

YSL Pure Chromatics No. 8 Swatches and Reviews




When YSL finally came back to town, I knew the first thing I wanted to swatch was the Pure Chromatics which I have heard great things about. It is strange though, I have seen them at the DFS Changi before but the displays have never excited me enough to have a closer look. But when I finally went to see them again at the YSL store in Ion I was smitten by the lovely sparkly quality of them under the store lights. I had my eye on No. 6 and No. 8 but I thought I'll buy one first and if I liked it enough, I would pick No. 6 up at DFS Changi in December.





The Pure Chromatic palettes comes in YSL's standard gold packaging. It attracts plenty of fingerprints but a good wipe cleans everything right away.




I am appreciating foam applicators more these days. A good sturdy applicator really helps make makeup application faster. I am unsure what to this with this particular applicator though. It is not made of sponge so how am I suppose to use this, can anyone help me? I am very sure the thin pointy one is used as a liner but what about the one that has a flat surface?




Just look at all that shimmery goodness! The palette features two lighter colours and two darker ones.






The colours generally don't look very impressive when swatched dry but when I added a little MAC Fix+ the two darkest colours becomes wow colours.


Left to right: Dry and wet

This palette costs SGD $88. I definitely think you can get it cheaper either online or even at DFS Changi.

This is a look I did with the copper colour. I applied it wet.


Then I used the champaign beige shade wet on the inner corners and blended over the copper shade.


I used the white gold shade as a subtle brow highlight and used my trusty liquid eye liner.


Different lighting
7 hours after application
The next look I used the olive shade. Again I applied this wet to give it intensity.


I used the champagne shade dry as an all over lid colour. I applied the white gold again as a brow highlight.


I finished it off with my Make Up For Ever Aqua Liner in a khaki shade and mascara.



Overall, I am very happy with my buy. The eye shadows are finely milled and blend well. They are long lasting and pack a lot of colour when applied wet. I like having the option of wearing either intense colours or subtle colours.

Ratings: 4+ lipsticks

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I want this palette but it's not available at Changi DFS =( Let's hope they have it by next week when I'm flying again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspected this wasn't available because I did not see this the last time I was there. I am hoping No. 6 will be there so I can pick it up when I go for my holidays. :) Do let me know if you see them at DFS my dear.

      Delete
  2. They look really lovely when applied wet! Really nice autumn shades. Maybe the flat applicator is so that you can apply the shadow by using a pressing type motion rather than a sweeping one, especially if you are using it wet? Kinda like a dabbing motion, which may give a more pigmented result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Rachel, I'll try that. It is a loverly autumn palette, was instantly drawn in by the copper shade.

      Delete
    2. So babe did you get to buy the Rimmel lipstick?

      Delete
  3. they look amazing on you and such a beautiful packaging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it gets dirty easily, once in a while I need to give it a good wipe.

      Delete
  4. I have this color too and I think YSL Pure Chromatics are best when applied wet. I find it rather poorly pigmented when applied by itself. I did experienced some fallouts too. Did you experience fallouts of the glitters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the two darkest shades wet exclusively. I agree that the shadows aren't anything special dry. But I have not experienced any fall out at all. Meryl do you own any other YSL palettes?

      Delete
    2. I have two YSL Chromatics but I think I would stop buying YSL eye products for the moment. It definitely looks nice but I plan to have NARS :)

      Delete
    3. I might finally pick up my first NARS eye shadow palette when the counter finally opens.

      Delete
  5. I've yet to step into YSL here! I'm holding out till I have more moolah to throw around because I know I'm going to go "I'll take this ... and this ... and this ... and this one too" LOL! This palette swatches really beautifully, especially foiled! Loooovely!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.