Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Koji Dolly Wink Liquid Eye Liner in Deep Black Review and Swatches


I have been wanting to get this for ages but it has always escaped me. Every time I hear that Watsons has stocks, I would go down to the various bigger Watsons stores in town. I could never find it. The elusiveness of this little liquid eye liner just made it more desirable and I finally caved in and bought it on Ebay. And you know what? After I bought it, I found tons of them at Watsons, sigh!

I paid about SGD $22.50 including shipping for this. I'm not sure how much it is selling for in Singapore though. Does anyone know?

Anyway the question I guess everyone wants to know. Is it HG material? Eh, not quite for me.



I love pen style liquid eye liners. This design is the best for noobs and people with shaky hands like me. The brush is firm yet flexible. It is so easy to draw a thin or thick line with this. It is a shaker type pen. When you shake, you can hear the little metal balls inside the pen hitting on each other. The flow of ink is consistent.


I took out my Lorac Front of the Line liquid liner for a comparison. They are almost similar in size. (You can check out my review of Lorac here.)


Dolly Wink gives a nice inky black line. I made a thin line with just one stroke and another with many strokes for comparison. I prefer my liner to be really black so I like to go over the line a few times instead of just one.

Left to right: Lorac and Dolly Wink
I find that Lorac and Dolly Wink are both similar in colour and consistency.

Now for the water test.



After running it with water, I gave the swatches a gentle rub. Both fared pretty decently. I realise that though many products are water proof, for my case, many are not tear proof. The composition of tears and water are slightly different. So I also did a saline test.



After another gentle rub you can see that both faded. Dolly Wink seems to be a little more tenacious than Lorac.

I have been wearing the Dolly Wink eye liner almost every day after purchasing it. My work days are looooong! Like 12 hours long at times and I yawn and tear a lot. Dolly Wink still smudges and fades away. After alternating using my two liquid eye liners I will still say that my Lorac eye liner stays on better for me.

If you do not have teary eyes or oily lids Dolly Wink could very well be your HG liquid eye liner. But it is not not me.

Ratings: 2 lipsticks

12 comments:

  1. It does seem like such an elusive eyeliner! :P I can never find it here! Thank u for your review! It's good to see swatches and truly compare it w/another eye liner :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really wear liquid liner all that much and I STILL want to try this one! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't have teary eyes or much oily lids you should, this would be great.

      Delete
  3. This was one of the first few liquid eyeliners I used. It is so easy to use (I am a noob!) but my oily eyelids would peck away at it until I was left with blotchy flaky bits at the end of a work day :(

    I'm still on the hunt for a long lasting liquid eyeliner. I got a friend to help me purchase the LMdB liner from the US. Heard great reviews about that one so I'm hoping that will be THE ONE! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen, finding the right eye liner is like finding your husband ;) everyone is all hunting for that one true match that. I am still looking for my true HG but at the moment my MUFE aqua liner is the one for me. I am still looking for my one pencil liner.

      Delete
  4. This doesn't smudge or fade on me, but I prefer the marker type of liners because they're easier for me to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunny, what a coincidence that we posted about the Dollywink liner ;) which marker style liner do you use, I would love to try it. I can't get enough of liners.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jacq,
    I finally bought this too! I managed to find this few days ago at Watson's Wisma Atria. I forgot the exact price of this but definitely around that price that you paid.
    I personally like the brush of this eyeliner but K-palette works better for me in terms of smudge test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still searching for my HG liner, I tried k palette a long time back and it didn't work either.

      Delete
  6. you know, I've gone thru 3 of these and I still love it? I have oily lids but I have no problems with this smudging or smearing or anything. I got my chum to help me CP it from Hong Kong - so much cheaper (think I paid under $15). Tenacious ones I've tried are the Kiss Me Heavy Rotation and the new Heroine Make (though the Heroine Make has a flimsier brush that tends to get frazzled by my lashes) (this is how the Heroine Make one looks http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kiss-Me-Heroine-Make-3D-Liquid-Eyeliner-WP-Black-/380423661342)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kas I tried the Kiss Me version to but it still didn't work on me. Sigh I'm doomed to walk around forever with smudgy eyes. ;)

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.