Sunday, September 2, 2012

Guerlain Rouge G L'Extrait M71 Gourmandise swatches and review


(Information taken from Nordstrom website)

Liquid, creamy, consistent, ultra-pigmented and velvety, the Rouge G l'Extrait exceptional lip color is the perfect combination of a lipstick and a gloss that ensures an incredibly sophisticated look. The liquid texture glides gently across lips and within a few moments, the silky color becomes matte. A non-sticky, nondrying and non-feathering texture leaves your lips looking flawless for hours.



I bought this partially because I am currently in love with liquid lipsticks in general and I just wanted to own such a nifty looking tube. 


I had a hard time deciding on the colours. There are a total of 7 colours available.

Avarice - Beige
Colere - Bright red
Envie - Bright orange red
Gourmandise - Bright raspberry pink
Luxure - Deep red
Orguiel - Deep plum
Paresse - Rosy pink

Left to right: Luxure, Envie, Gourmandise and Paresse
My sane and practical mind was screaming for me to get Paresse. I had a strong urge to buy all 4 colours but sanity prevailed (sort of) I did a lip swatch of Gourmandise at the store and fell in love with it. I was telling myself that if I really loved the formula I would come back and get more shades. Considering that these were going for SGD $70 (USD $48). I better make sure I love the formula first before laying down more money on these. This is by far the most expensive lip product I own.



This baby is heavy!



When you give the top a tug, the mirror flips out, then you twist like you would normally do and the doe foot applicator comes out. I prefer using a lip brush because with liquid lipsticks, application should be precise.




Gourmandise is a matte bright pink. My swatches look lighter than it actually is. Temptalia has a better swatch so go check it out here.


I took this immediately after I got home from Sephora
My first time trialing it was less than stellar. Let me tell you why.

Application was gorgeous, it was creamy and pigmented. After application, it takes a few seconds of the lipstick to set. I try not to pile it on. Instead I use the doe foot to deposit the lip product and with my lip brush I proceed to spread in on my lips.

The colour stayed put through lunch although there was transfer. By tea time the colour wore off and there was a uniformed stained left behind. I found reapplication to be great, it looked god as new. But by evening I notice my lips were peeling at the corners. I was having a bad lip day.

I tried Gourmandise a few days later. A few days before, I piled on the lip balm and exfoliated my lips to ensure they would be soft and ready for action. This time around after just one reapplication it lasted till evening without my lips peeling. Yay!

As much as I love this, I can't help comparing it with Make Up For Ever's Aqua Rouge which I love as well. Aqua Rouges are equally creamy and long wearing and best of all they are cheaper. Of course without the fancy packaging. I just wished Aqua Rouges carried a bright orange and coral. That is why I am serious thinking of getting Envie which looks like a very exciting orange shade.

If you want to pamper yourself and you have healthy lips, the Guerlain Rouge G L'Extrait could very well be your perfect birthday treat for yourself. However if you have sensitive lips and lips that are dry and peel often, this might not be the lippie for you.

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, I highly recommend the MUFE Aqua Rouges.

Ratings: 3++ lipsticks

10 comments:

  1. The colour looks great on you - very face brightening :) But $70 is really a bit too much for a fairly high maintenance lip product IMO! So will you be getting more shades? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I might be tempted to get Paresse but it is a big maybe.

      Delete
  2. Poor Jacqueline! :( There's a bright orange in the Shiseido liquid lipsticks I think? Probably not as long-wearing as these or the MUFE though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate I bought the Shiseido one in Blaze but the orange isn't creamy or opaque enough for me. Guess my search for my HG creamy orange colour continues.

      Delete
  3. Packaging is so luxe! But maybe too excessive... The color looks good on you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the price I pay, it should really be the best lippie around but it isn't. Ah well lesson learned. :)

      Delete
  4. My dear,
    aww I don't like lipstick that peels my lip. I know the packaging surely looks very tempting but I will pass on this.
    honestly when I see this post I immediately attracted to your top (or dress). It looks so colorful and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Meryl, that is one of my favorite dresses :). It take s quite a bit of effort to ensure that Gourmandise applies well on my lips. I agree that the packaging is super cool but not worth the price.

      Delete
  5. Hey Jacqueline, thanks so much for the review! I was thinking I'd definitely need one of these, but now I hesitate a little! My lips are generally OK, but I still prefer lipsticks that are a bit moisturizing! I will check Aqua Rouges out for sure though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I love the packaging, I don't think I should be paying just for it, the formula must be immediately HG status but it's not. But the colour I must say is stellar.

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.