Saturday, August 25, 2012

Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof Long-lasting Eyeliner No. 88 Noir Intense Swatches and Reviews


I cannot stop buying black eye liners. I am constantly lured by the promise of a HG eye liner that will not smudge and is tearproof. Time and time again, I have been let down. So did this pencil live up to its promise? Read on and find out.


I love black eye liners. I have many, pencils, liquid liners and gel liners, I have them all. I love liquid liners best because I love a sharp and clean black line. I use black pencils for the water line and to get the spaces under and between my lashes. I also use pencils as a base for simple work-friendly smokey eyes. Why can't I live without black eye liners? Because they are the secret of bigger and livelier eyes.




I have never owned a retractable eye pencil before so this will be my first. The little sharpener is really useful, if I carefully shave my liner, I get a pretty sharp point.



Left to right: Chanel, Make Up For Ever and Urban Decay


I took out the other black eye pencils I own for comparison. As compared to the others, the Chanel version feels slightly less creamy and does drag on my lids a little.


For the above picture, I left them to set for a while and then did a vigorous rubbing. As you can see Urban Decay's Zero fared the worst. 



After the saline then rubbing test, Chanel still managed to stay on the better than the other two.

So did it smudge on me? Unfortunately it still did. I wore it for a test run to my dance class and after two hours of classes, I had to clean up the smudges under my eyes. I do have to say that the smudges were minimal. They weren't as bad as the other two eye pencils which gave me many embarrassing moments.

I also find that they are quite hard to remove. My Neutrogena Oil-free eye makeup remover normally does a good job of removing all my eye makeup including pencil eyeliners but even after , I'm left with panda eyes after washing my face with cleanser. I need to do another round of cleaning by using a cotton bud to clean up the smudges.

Taken after six hours
I'm kinda bummed out. I paid SGD $35 and was really hoping this would be my HG eye pencil. Guess it is not meant to be. If you however are not plagued with oily and teary lids, this ight be a good luxe alternative for you.

Ratings: 2+ lipsticks

21 comments:

  1. *shakes fist at Chanel Stylo Yeux*
    Grr. At that price, the pencil should come with a satisfaction guarantee! What are the cosmetics return policies like in Singapore?

    I think my eyeliner expectations are too high to ever be satisfied. I've concluded I should be looking for an e/s transformer/sealant and brush (eg Paula Dorf Transformer Brush) to convert my e/s into eyeliners. Have you ever considered this route?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no return policy at all in Singapore for makeup and skincare so I just have t suck it up. I am using it because it works slightly better than my UD and MUFE. I tried a sealant from MUFE before called Eye Seal, totally did nothing for me. :(

      Delete
    2. Oh Jacq, that absolutely stinks -- both the return policy and the ineffective Eye Seal. I am irritated for you. Grrrr. *shakes fist again at the bullying Chanel Stylo* I now remember asking you about Eye Seal when you reviewed it on your blog. I've heard the Paula Dorf Eye Transformer works quite well, as does Pixie Epoxy. I may order a version from a mineral makeup company. If it works, I'll send you some to try.

      Given the lack of returns, do you ever do swaps with other beauty bloggers or beauty enthusiasts in Singapore?

      ps Have you found something to replace the insert on your LMdB lip gloss palette? Yesterday, I came across a piece of clear acetate from my aunt's Vichy GWP box and saved it for you. If you're in need, I'll send it to you. :)

      Delete
    3. Boo boo (kiss) thanks my sweetie, I managed to attach the lid back of my gwp so no worries. I'm stubborn about the Stylo Yeux so I'm layering it with black liquid liner. It seems to work better.
      I haven't swapped in ages! I've been meaning to hold a blog sale but just haven't had the energy or time.
      I would love to try the Pixie Epoxy, I hear do many good things about it, thanks my dear ;)

      Delete
    4. Guess what? Your package arrived! I'm waiting for tonight so I can open it when my guy's around. I do this with most of my packages because I think it's more fun when other people can participate in opening surprises. I'm excited!! XD

      It may be a while before I send some transformer to you. I'm on an unofficial spending ban until I get through more samples and full sized products. Also, I've learned Pixie Epoxie isn't compatible with matte eyeshadows, so I won't get that one after all. :(

      Delete
    5. Boo Boo, great to hear. I always hide my packages because my honer shakes his head at my buys and I feel kinda bad and embarrassed. I hope you use at more products soon. :)

      Delete
  2. Hey dear,
    Chanel waterproof eyeliner works very well on me. I tried it once and finished it. I am currently using Revlon for a cheaper alternative. Unfortunately Revlon smudges on me.

    To prevent my Revlon from smudging, What I usually do is I use my Revlon eyeliner first and I topped it with my K-palette tattoo eyeliner. It looks very pigmented and the best part is that it doesn't smudge :) Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear I'm currently lining the Stylo Yeux with my new Stila waterproof liquid liner, still smudges but it's cut down. I will show you what I mean when we meet up.

      Delete
  3. Oh that's too bad! Every Chanel product should be more than perfect, they're so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Drama Makeup, things that cost so much should do what they claim to do.

      Delete
  4. oh no that's a pity that it didn't work well :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caise, i'm still using it. I just have to be careful and carry plenty of q tips.

      Delete
  5. Jac - you and me have the same problem! Oily lids! What really helps is an eye primer. But somehow pencil liners don't tend to stay smudge-free on me for too long. Liquid pen liner is still my best friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I love liquid liners but they generally don't last on my waterline. In addition to that my liquid liners cannot my withstand my teary eyes.

      Delete
  6. Sad to know Chanel waterproof eyeliner doesn't work on you because I really like it. I wouldn't say it's smudge proof either but it last pretty decent on me as long as I make sure my under eye is powdered

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ruby, maybe I should put my powder under my eyes to test.

      Delete
  7. Annamária Surányi has left a new comment on your post "Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof Long-lasting Eyeliner...":

    ugh guess I'm not going to try this pencil >.< Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is my HG inner lash liner! Its smudge proof for all day wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sizbelle, lucky you. I wished it was the same for me.

      Delete
  9. I want the Stylo Yeux in Jade :/ ... WANTTTTTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kas, I guess these must work great on your lids. Lucky you. I saw the swatch for Rose Platine, it looks so pretty but I shall not be tempted. They smudge on me :(

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.