Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Bali 2012 - The Travel Edition Part 2 and lots of ramblings (Picture heavy and super long post)

I thought I would break up my post about Bali to avoid boring you, dear readers and hopefully you would want to read more about it.

Finally a back view of DH, he is camera shy!
The one thing about Bali that I think Singaporeans need to get used to is the fact that most places have either no pavements or very narrow ones for walking. I think for us the first day walking out to have dinner was quite a hair raising experience. Vehicles were zooming everywhere and honking. There are no pedestrian crossing lights, you either wait for the traffic guy (few and far in between) to whistle and get the traffic to slow down (mind you, not stop, slow down) or cross your fingers and dash across. You would understand that that having a 7 year old child with you makes it more scary for me as a mom. But surprisingly by the third day, we became seasoned jaywalkers.

To get about in Bali, it is best to get yourself a driver. Instead of having to hassle with dubious drivers we got ours from the villa. Istina our driver took very good care of us for the two days we went exploring. If you do have a license to ride a motorbike that is also an option. I do notice however that there are very few road signs so I admire the tourists who zip around in their scooters, very brave!

On the second day, we decided to go to Bedugul to visit the Bali Treetop Adventure. The ride was almost 2 hours long. It was kinda grueling for me as I do not travel well. I'm envious of the two guys in my life who are able to take quick naps anytime and anywhere. The trip was worth it though when we got to see the famously beautiful rice terraces.



Balinese lady placing offerings at a temple next to the rice fields


Bedugul is much cooler and higher up among the mountains.


The thing about planning for holidays is, I always love finding outdoor activities that we can't do in Singapore. Bali Treetop Adventure Park offers 7 adventure circuits for all ages.



The demonstration circuit allows you to build up your confidence and get a hang of using the pulleys and carabiners. As you can see DS and myself are literally trying to get a hang of it.


There are two circuits for children. Here we are attempting it. As it is not that high, it was not daunting for DS. He cleared the circuit with ease.




I am very proud of DS. We went together to the first adult circuit which was much much higher up. He cleared almost all the circuits except for the final flying fox which was just too high for him. Our instructor came to his rescue and he managed to ride on the instructors lap. Whew!



Cleared this flying fox

Sat on the lap of the instructor for this one.
Together with DH, I went through some of the more challenging circuits for adults. I surprised myself. I am generally a big wuss and am usually afraid to try out stuff. I managed to clear some obstacles that were pretty tough by my standards. The thing about these circuits is that there is no way to back out of them once you get started. So even if you feel like you can't do it, you just have to in order to get down to the ground.

I managed to snap this before I did a flying fox.
After all the excitement, we visited the Ulun Danu Bratan Temple at Lake Bratan. Though pretty, it was disappointing. There were many tourists and we were not able to go into the temple.


The next day, we visited an Animal Welfare Shelter called Villa Kitty in Ubud. As my DS says it, the best day ever! Elizabeth the lady in charge of the place is doing amazing work for the homeless cats there. We went there with donations and kitten food. We managed to visit the Healthy Room where all the healthy cats are waiting for adoption. They are well taken care of and had big spaces to roam in. The cats themselves were darlings, so affectionate. If you are an animal lover like myself and are visiting Bali, please make this a pit stop, you won't regret it. Every donation counts for these kitties.



Getting a good back rub



We then made our way to Ubud and visited the Sacred Money Forest. Unlike the kitties, these macaques are very aggressive and honestly quite scary especially for young children. A young macaque jumped onto my husband while he was walking and sat on his shoulder. It scratched DH when it was jumping off. Thankfully it did not break skin. A lady tourist made the mistake of sitting too close to one while taking photos, she suffered bloody scratches on her arms and neck.


Ubud market

Ubud market
I hope you enjoyed looking at the pictures. I leave you with these two pictures. We were delighted to find Rotiboy at the Bali Ngurah Rai Airport. Rotiboy was in Singapore quite some time ago and they are famous for coffee infused buttery buns. Yum! My DS positively enjoyed them.



Thanks for looking!

17 comments:

  1. Love all the pics! Your DS is too cute and those kitties are the sweetest EVER. The treetop adventure looks like a great family activity, but I'm usually really wimpy about heights and adventure rides haha. I almost settled on Bali for my upcoming trip but then decided to go with Penang, but am now really keen to go to Bali too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoyed our trip to Villa Kitty. I am glad we managed to do something good in Bali and hopefully the wanting to help will rub off DS too. You must go to Bali! Email me if you want info about villas, I am currently planning my December trip. Not sure to stay at Villa Kubu again or try something new.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the offer Jacq! Don't think I will be staying in a villa if I go cos it's just SO and myself, unless the villas are quite small! We don't really need the living room space, for example. Are you going back to Bali again in December? The rest of my family went to Ubud about a year ago and they enjoyed it. Ahh I love travel posts! I'm staying here in Penang: http://www.lonepinehotel.com/the_hotel

      Delete
    3. I haven't been to Penang since I was in Secondary school. Please let me know how did you find your trip and what did you do there. I am always interested in travel. I love travel posts too I wish I had enough moolah to forget about work and travel to my heart's content. Ubud is a lovely area I would want to stay there just with DH for some couple time alone :)

      Delete
  2. wahh looks like a fun trip!!
    gosh the lady tourist is pretty unlucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Evie, thanks for dropping by. It was truly an enjoyable and memorable trip for me. It is a pity about the lady tourist, the thing is we have to respect nature and understand that some animals we should not get too close to. I think many tourists see macaques and think they are so cute but don't realise that they have claws.

      Delete
  3. Jacq, I went to the same monkey forest and I immediately went back! I am so scared of the monkeys!!
    Btw Bedugul is beautiful, but I have never been to the tree tops. Visit Tanah Lot for another breathtaking view :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meryl, you don't say, I stayed a safe distance away. Is Tanah Lot far from Seminyak?

      Delete
    2. Yes it's about 1.5 hours drive I guess.

      Delete
  4. I'm a big wuss too! But the circuits look so fun!! Sounds like an awesome family activity =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luna, the great thing about the circuits were they were progressive so it felt manageable. It was really fun for the family, DS talked about it for days because he was also proud of himself.

      Delete
  5. I always feel this exhilarating rush whenever I see those rice fields, I don't know why. Glad you had some outdoor fun, heard Bali's weather is excellent during this part of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Joyce, the weather though hot is not as humid as Singapore. The rice fields are very serene and calming for me. I managed to catch sight of a mommy duck and her ducklings walking along the padi fields, priceless.

      Delete
  6. Bali's certainly a very nice place to explore and relax. Great that you visited Villa Kitty as well coz they really need donations to keep their operations going. God bless your good heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW the pictures are looking great! I should definitely make a plan to visit Bali, looks so rich in culture and the zip line tours looks like an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, the zip line circuits were really fun. Bali is a gorgeous place, you should visit. :)

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.