Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Guerlain Terracotta Blush Sun Shimmer Highlighter





These are the new Guerlain Terracotta Blush Sun Shimmer Highlighters in Spicy Coral and Sunny Pink. I was spied them at Natural N Chic Makeup blog in  February. Her swatches were lust inducing and I decided I had to get them when they reached Singapore. I realised that Guerlain prices in Singapore are quite comparable to the US so I decided to wait instead of ordering from Nordstrom.

(Information taken from Guerlain website)

Looking for a tan that seems to glow from within, colour that appears lifted by a slightly flushed 
effect? This mother-of-pearl concentrate instantly illuminates the cheekbones, giving them incredibly sensual colour. For blondes, there is pink, the colour that naturally comes to their cheeks; while brunettes need coral to echo the spicy shades of their tan. An expert in trompe l’œil colour, with this easy-to-use product Guerlain has successfully imitated a natural blush to leave the complexion fresh and illuminate all types of tanned skin.

TERRACOTTA BLUSH is applied in circular movements directly on golden skin or on top of Terracotta powder, lightly tapping with the fingertips.
Sunny Pink

Spicy Coral

Currently Guerlain is also introducing the Rouge Automatique Shines but unfortunately when I was at Ion Sephora I did not see the piece de resistance the Golden Glimmer Powder which looks absolutely amazing for a highlighter hoarder like me.

Needless to say,the swatches at the store were so pretty under the store lights that I bought both. I couldn't decide which, so saved myself the agony of choosing and grabbed both. These cost SGD $59, USD $41.



These Terracotta Blush Sun Shimmer Highlighters come in glass tubes of 15 ml. It is a little bit worrying for me to carry these around my makeup pouch. It features a pump that is very easy to control. I can depress it just hard enough to get the exact amount I need.


Heavy swatch


They are liquid blushes so are very easy to blend and sheer out. They can also be layered easily without looking cakey. Both have scents that I cannot identify, floral I think.


Sunny Pink blended out


Spicy Coral blended out


Don't they look gorgeous under bright sunlight? I live in a flat so for the above few pictures I went down to the ground floor and took pictures under the sun. The old ladies sitting around were wondering what this crazy lady is doing taking pictures of her arm.

I want to love these so much, they look so so pretty on swatches but they are sheer. I tried applying them on top of foundation and under powder. They did not show up well on my skin. So I decided to tap them on my skin as suggested on the Guerlain website after setting my face with loose powder. It worked better, the colors showed up. Spicy Coral gave me a golden coral orange glow and Sunny Pink is a warm pink with lovely gold shimmer. Both did not look oily on my skin instead gave me a lovely bronzed look after a layered them.

The disappointing thing was that both did not last long, after about three hours there were no traces of blush on my face. 

Spicy Coral, where is it???
I am very used to long lasting cream/gel/liquid blush so these are disappointing to say the least. I think my mistake is to treat them like normal blush, after all it says highlighter so I shall treat it like such. I decided to layer it over my favorite cream blushes from Le Metier de Beaute and had better results. 

As highlighters, they do their job giving my face a lovely glow. If you are fairer than my NC35, I think these blush will show up more on your skin. Anything darker than my skin tone, I fear these will not show up well on you. I do not like the fact that they do not last long. For my $60 I want a product that isn't so hard to deal with. I shouldn't have to work so hard to make it work, you know.

I'm stubborn, I can't let go of the fact that they look so pretty, so I am going to try my darnest to make them work for me.

Ratings: 1+ lipsticks

16 comments:

  1. haha. Crazy lady taking pictures of herself or her arm, or her hand. I can only relate! Both these blushes look nice, but honestly, they're not the most unique colours. Is the Guerlain x Pucci collection out yet in Singapore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope it is not out yet, I am dying to swatch that and get a good look at it. By the way I love your new Dior bronzer, so nice.

      Delete
  2. Sunny Pink looks like a nice dupe of NARS Orgasm. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad I threw away my Orgasm, else I would have swatched them side my side. IMHO I feel Orgasm is frostier.

      Delete
  3. I love the pink one it's so gorgeous
    too bad they are sold out here:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caise, honestly you are not missing out a thing. But with your lovely complexion, I think you will be able to pull it off. I'll be happy to give you a sample to try. :) Email me.

      Delete
  4. Haha my nosey neighbor must think the same thing about me :) That's so sad they only last a few hours, they're so pretty! I especially like sunny pink :) Maybe they would last longer with powder blush on top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup Emmy that is what I have been doing. I also put it on top of my powder blush, on my cheek bones just like I would with a highlighter.

      Delete
  5. They look so lovely in the sun, it's a shame to hear that they don't last well especially with that price. I'm thinking they might be hard to blend on top of a cream blush though? Maybe use this as a base with cream or powder blush over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put this on top of my cream blush and mostly under my powder blush. But sigh, for the price it should show up on its own!

      Delete
  6. Jacq, sadly I have to agree with you too. I think this highlighter is way too overpriced and I don't see any benefit in getting them :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, must learn from my mistake, don't buy.

      Delete
  7. Oh no this is too sad :( They look really good swatched! Too bad it doesn't last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess sometimes we just happen to pick duds.

      Delete
  8. How are you meant to use these products? I mean do you just put it on your cheeks and highlighting regions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, I apply them like normal cream blush, on the apples of my cheeks and then layer with powder blush

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.