Thursday, May 10, 2012

Chanel Le Blanc Sheer Illuminating Base Review


The Chanel Le Blanc Illuminating Base is another item I picked up during my epic Chanel haul a few weeks ago. Honestly I do not need another primer, I am quite happy with the primer I am using. But being me, I get very caught up in the moment especially after makeovers and I just literally want everything that Quiling the marvelous MA at Chanel Ion put on me. I will tell you that I did suffer from buyer's remorse when I brought it home. 

On to the review and I will tell you why I am suffering from buyer's remorse.





The Sheer Illuminating Base comes is a hefty frosted glass bottle. Very pretty to look at but not very portable. I don't see how I can bring this for travelling unless I decant it first.There is a little plastic spatula which is given for me to scoop the contents out. I would have preferred a pump instead. I have read that the opening will eventually get kinda gross as product tend to cling on to the opening, we shall see.



The product comes out white but is easily blended into a sheer base. I only need very little, if I use too much I get an obvious white cast. When I use it under my foundations, I can see that my face is brighter. It minimises my pores and does a good job of adhering my foundation to my skin. My face does get a tad shiny after a few hours but it is easily resolved by using a little pressed powder.


Here comes my dilemma. Over my favorite Chanel UV Essentiel SPF50, my face becomes quite white! On its own it does not leave a white cast but together both of them do. Coupled but the fact that my face has gone darker from my recent trip to the beach, I look unnaturally fairer.

I do not want to apply this over my other sunblock, Clarins HP Plus (beige) because then it becomes too heavy on my skin.  I resort to using this at night and on gloomy, rainy days where I go without sunblock but choose foundation with SPF which kinda makes me wonder why I bought it in the first place.

I notice that my makeup routine is getting fussier and fussier which I don't really like. Instead of piling on layers and layers of product, I wish to streamline and shorten the process. This base isn't helping.

On its own, it is a great product for dry to normal skins. It gives me a luminous glow which I love. If you have a darker skin tone you might also want to test it at the counter before buying it.

Sheer Illuminating base under Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk UV foundation

For SGD $75 I hoped that it would have been a fuss free product which works well with the rest of the products I have. It is not. But as a stand alone primer, it is quite lovely.

Ratings: 2++ lipsticks

15 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. The glass bottle is pretty but so impractical! Maybe you can try using it as a very subtle liquid highlighter for daytime?

    I totally understand about wanting to streamline routines. I've pared mine down a lot already as it's just too troublesome in the morning to be mucking around with multiple jars and tubes when you're in a rush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I wake up at 5.20 am in the morning! To put on make up! I am so lame! These days it has been raining so good excuse to use it with my Chanel Aqua Lumiere.

      Delete
  2. I've read wonders about this, thanks for the review! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jacqueline, that's a pity considering how pricey it is. I'm so big on the whole 'my face is whiter than the rest of my body' look. And especially when you're layering product after product. I did that once with skincare (I layered 3-4 different serums). It was quite pointless... so I condense and now only use a maximum of 3 skincare for the day. The simplicity is refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. I come to realise that even if the products are good piling all of it on my face just negates their effectiveness.

      Delete
  4. I'm currently using Estee Lauder primer and I love it!
    btw you are using my favorite foundation :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big fan of GA base products. Which EL primer are you using by the way sweetie?

      Delete
    2. http://www.esteelauder.com/product/1473/21173/Product-Catalog/Makeup/Face/Primers/Matte-Perfecting-Primer/index.tmpl this one

      Delete
  5. Oh buyers remorse, how often you have come to haunt me in the past! I've had the problem of trying to put spf into my routine without making me turn ghastly white or the makeup turning too greasy and thick. Blotting papers have become a staple for me! I think I like reviews like this better because then I don't feel the need to buy anything afterwards haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a perfectly good system of using my Chanel UV Essentiel but being the unsatisfied person that I am I had to add something else.

      Delete
  6. I would try BB cream, the Korean brands do great quality, inexpensive cosmetics and it provides fantastic coverage (Missha, Laneige, Sulwhasoo, Etude House). The cream acts like a foundation, sun crean and moisturiser, though I've found with New Zealand's drier climate, I need to mix in some moisturiser in to avoid my skin looking dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, thanks for your comment. I have in fact tried Korean BB creams but unfortunately have not found one that matches my skin tone accurately. Everything looks very fair, even my favourite Diorsnow BB cream is now too fair for me. :( Now that I am plagued with severe oily skin, bb creams are just not so suitable for me now.

      Delete
  7. I would try the Korean BB creams then, they act as a moisturiser, sun cream and foundation and once you put them on it makes your skin look a little brighter. Good brands include Missha, Etude House, Faceshop, Sulwhasoo and Laneige. They're good quality and inexpensive compared to the high end western brands and the BB cream provides fantastic coverage without creating a masklike appearance.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.