Sunday, February 19, 2012

NARS Velvet Matt Lip Pencil Dolce Vita Review and Swatches



(Information taken from NARS website)

The application of a lipstick combined with the convenience of a pencil in a jumbo crayon design. Lips are instantly saturated with rich pigments and a velvety matte finish. The long lasting, non-drying formula is enriched with emollients for a creamy texture, while a combination of unique silicones ensures long-lasting, seamless color for hours. Use for lining, all-over lip color, or pairing with another lip product.
  • "Best Long-Wearing Lipstick" 2011 Allure "Best of Beauty"
  • Rich, vivid shades
  • Enriched with Vitamin E
  • Convenient, easy application


I resisted buying make up from NARS partially because of the packaging. I still own the Orgasm and Laguna duo and although the formula and pigmentation is great, the matt black packaging becomes tacky over time. For that reason I resisted getting more of the blushes and eye shadows.

I had my eyes turned to the Velvet Matt Lip Pencil by Joey from Joey's Space. She has amazing lip swatches and was singing praises of these that I had to try one out for myself. Dolce Vita looked like a safe shade to try so I bought that. I resisted getting Red Square. Although it looks absolutely fabulous on Joey I was not sure how it would look on me. Maybe next time.







It is exactly what Joey described, flattering matt dusty rose colour that deepens and brightens my natural lip colour by a notch.


This lip swatch unfortunately does not do it any justice. It is much prettier in real life.

Velvet Matt Lip Pencils though matt and very forgiving on the lips. They don't peel and dry my lips. It is creamy and glides onto my lips. Once applied, it adheres very well to my lips without any slip. It feels very comfortable on the lips once applied. My lips feels lightweight, soft and supple but it isn't long lasting. It did not survive my reunion dinner but I wasn't expecting it to anyway. On normal days, it lasts for about 3 to 4 hours with drinking but it does not survive a meal. It leaves a slight stain behind after that. When I applied my lip balm and reapplied again, it looks as good as new.

With matt lipsticks, I make sure my lips are in tip top condition, which means ex-foliating and applying my favourite Chanel Hydramax lip balm before application. If I don't, this is what happens. My dry lips are further emphasized. 



I have to add that they are thankfully easy to remove and also easy to reapply.

NARS lip pencils are jumbo sized pencil so you will need a special sharpener for it. I find that sharpening is kinda wasteful though.

They sell for USD $24 and come in 15 shades. There is also the Velvet Gloss Lip Pencils and as the name suggests, the glossy versions.

Here are some links to swatches. The Beauty Codes and Dazzle n Sparkle. Sierra and Red Square look awfully pretty. I had a bad run in with jumbo pencils lately (I'm looking at you, UD Super Saturated High Gloss Lip Color!) NARS Velvet Matt Lip Pencils totally changed my mind.

I am looking to pass on my Urban Decay lip pencils in Punch Drunk and Big Bang to people who would give it more love. If you want it, do leave me a comment with your email address. I will pick two to get it. (I will make sure I sharpen them and clean them out before sending them out.)

Ratings: 4 lipsticks

7 comments:

  1. Lovely lip pencil! Thanks for posting this up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a lovely colour. It looks so dark but on your lips it looks more natural. I love matte lip colours! Red Square looks really gorgeous too. I think matte red seems easier to rock than glossy red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona Star, I have to agree with you, glossy red lips are better on ladies with slightly thinner lips. If you have full lips it can look OTT. Have you tried the Chanel Rouge Allure Velvets? They are great matt lipsticks too.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I'd love to try the UD lip pencils if they're still available! I love bright colours because they make me look much fresher and more awake. I'd love Big Bang :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. Forgot to leave my email! rach.tanki(at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.