Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Dior 5 Couleurs Spring Collection 2012 441 Garden Pastels Swatches and Reviews



It was love at first promo picture. I got sucked in by the pretty palette so I bought this without swatching. When reviews and swatches started trickling through the blogosphere I got more and more worried. I see the words sheer, frosty and shimmery used very often to describe the Garden Edition palettes. I seriously wondered if the palette would suit my skin tone.




Anyway, I sighed when I opened it up. It is very very pretty, so pretty I had to wait for a good one minute before I brought myself to swatch it.




Yup the colours are towards the sheerer side and are shimmery. The white and pink shade are very similar. I had hoped that the pink would have been a matt or satin shade instead to counter the rest of the shimmery shades.





Here are some really pretty eye looks using Garden Pastels from Temptalia and Makeupforlife.

Since I had low expectations from the palette, I was pleasantly surprised. I went ah.... when I applied the shimmery yellow shade all over my lids. Thankfully all the colours are not frosty at all. Just shimmery. Because they are sheer, they are also more forgiving.





For this eye look, I used the cream yellow shade from the inner corner of my lids up to the middle. Then I used the green from the middle to the outer corners. I blend slightly upwards and use the pink shade as my brow bone highlighter and blend downwards. I use the teal shade at the outer corners and on my contour. I used the teal to line the outer corner of my lower lash line and the cream yellow from where the teal ends to the inner corner. Finally the white shade on the inner corner near my tear ducts. To finish the look, I added my Lorac Front of the Line eye liner.

I bought this for USD $59 or SGD $77. This costs SGD $95 at the counters. Wow! That is expensive.

I'm glad I bought mine at Nordstrom, I like this palette but am not in love with it yet. I'm not sure if I would pay $95 for it though. I wish there was a darker or matt shade to pull the colours together.

Ratings: 3 lipsticks

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jacqueline, This palette is so pretty to look at. I'd be dreading to run my brush through the shadows. However, I agree with you about the high-shimmer factor, which is why I tend to avoid CD makeup. The other thing that I noted is the "shelf life" of this product. 6 months??? Wow, that's a short lifespan for eyeshadow. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this product. Now I know what not to buy :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share your sentiments about CD palettes, I swear this will be the last CD palette I ever buy!

      Delete
    2. I received my Myer magazine in the mail today, and this palette is featured in the beauty section. FYI... AU$103!!! And you thought it was bad in Singapore. Nothing beats shopping for beauty products in the US :)

      Delete
    3. No offence to any of my Australian readers but Australian make up prices are crazy expensive.

      Delete
  2. Hey Jacqueline!
    finally you put this up! Green is not really my color but this one looks great :) thanks for the beautiful swatch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Memoiselle, I have to tell myself to stay away from CD palettes from now on.

      Delete
  3. I like this look; some of the Dior SAs I know were wearing this constantly during the launch of Spring and it looks fantastic on them. This would have made a lovely quad if not for the similarity of the pastel shades :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, I just wished they changed the shimmery teal to a matt version that was darker. And perhaps added a mauve shade instead of the pink.

      Delete
  4. The spring quints are so pretty I have yet to touch them till now! :p Anyway, I want to share with you a look done with this quint that I like very much: http://www.theraeviewer.com/2012/01/dior-garden-party-spring-2012-make-up.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw this video too! Thanks dear! I don't mind diving into my palettes no matter how pretty they are, I'm terrible.

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.