Saturday, January 21, 2012

Kitten eye versus Cat eye

Iariae gave me ideas for this post so thanks girl! I'm going to show you how I do a kitten eye look. It is not the best and I'm not an expert. I'm always looking to improve my technique so please give me feedback!

My original idea was to do a kitten eye but as I went along my kitten eye turned into a cat eye.


For my kitten / cat eye, I always go for neutral colours. I always use black eye liner. I like a thicker line so I always start of with a gel liner and a stiff eye liner brush. Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Liner in 950 Black is an okay black gel eye liner that is inexpensive plus it comes with a fantastic eye liner brush. In fact I love the brush more than the original product. After a few months it becomes drier in texture which makes it a little more difficult to get a nice smooth line.

Anyway on to the tutorial (if I may call it that). I make a little line following the curve of the bottom of my eye upwards.


 Then from the middle of my eye lid, I draw a straight line (at least I try my best to get a straight line) and connect it to the end of my little flick.



Then it is a matter of lining my eyes from the inner corner to the middle and filling up the empty space of my little flick. Then I go over the whole thing with my favourite liquid eye liner of the moment Lorac Front Of The Line Pro Liner in black (thanks Kathy!) If I want a water proof line instead of Lorac I replace it with MUFE's Aqua Line in #13.


I tend not to line my bottom eye for day time. I find that I look overly fierce but here it goes. Anyway, sometimes as I line with my liquid eye liner I make mistakes and end up making a thinker and longer line. I go overboard and it eventually becomes a cat eye look instead. For a cat eye, the flick is longer and more exaggerated. For both looks, I love adding my Ardell's 108 for extra oomph.


What I used:

Urban Decay Primer Potion
Le Metier De Beaute Dualistic eye pencil in Champagne
Le Metier De Beaute Penelope Eye Kit in Blond Amber and Bronze Topaz
Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Liner in 950 Black
Lorac Front Of The Line Pro Liner in black
Maybelline Long Extreme Stilleto mascara

Compare the one above with the one below. I redid it this time with my UD Naked palette. I like this better. The neutral shades are more subtle and my eye liner looks cleaner. Ta da! My kitten eye.



I hope this has been useful!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post; it's weird but it made me (finally) click how to do a cat eye.

    I've watched a billion tutorials, but most of them seem to be:
    Step 1: draw a line that's a perfect cat eye. Step 2: Finished.

    Maybe I'll attempt this today, thanks Jacqueline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much! I am still a noob and so I don't do tutorials. Your encouragement means a lot!

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.