Monday, January 9, 2012

The Divas and Duds of 2011: All About Eyes Edition

I think this is the year for pot eye shadows. The variety and quality of pot eye shadows from the different brands have been amazing. Something about them triggers my insane hoarding instinct. 


Some of the pot shadows I have tried out are the Shiseido Shimmering Cream Eye Colors, Chanel Illusion d'Ombres, Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill and L'oreal La Couleur Infallible Eye shadows




See what I mean! Insane hoarding! I have three drawers of eye shadow thingies.  I'm not going to show your my last drawer because it is filled my MAC pigment samples that I have not touched in ages. I'm trying to get rid of them but my hoarding instinct prevents me from doing it. Sigh!


These potted eye shadows are my current favourites and what I reach for most.


This is my drawer of palettes and eye shadow singles. My two MAC palettes are hiding underneath my Naked palette.



Diva pot shadow of the year goes to Giorgio Armani's Eyes To Kill Eye shadow
It was a close fight with Chanel Illusion d'Ombre eye shadows but Giorgio Armani won for me because of the sheer variety of shades. ETKs as they are affectionately called are highly pigmented metallic eye shadows that look great dry or wet. They last forever without smudging and the colours are just simply gorgeous.


Midnight Plum

Diva pressed eye shadow singles of the year goes to Burberry Sheer eye shadows.
I really love Burberry's soft and buttery texture. They aren't sheer at all so don't be fooled by its name. They are pigmented shades that blend so well and the colours selection sings elegance and refinement.





Diva eye shadow palette of the year goes to Suqqu Blend Color Eyeshadow EX 06 Usuchaori.
This is one luxurious palette with beautiful warm neutrals that work so well together. The textures are so soft and creamy and the colours so pigmented. This is a sleek, well put together palette.





Diva smoky eye shadow colour of the year goes to Chanel Illusion d'Ombre in Mirifique.
This is the nicest black eye shadow with extra pizazz. So long as you make sure you put something under your eyes to catch the initial fall out during application, you are good to go. Mirifique glitters and sparkles in the light and is one of the prettiest black eye shadow evah!





Diva work horse eye shadow colour of the year goes to Burberry Sheer Eye Shadow in Porcelain.
It is the best nude eye shadow colour. I use this as a base for my other eye shadows, I also use this to blur and blend my coloured eye shadows. It is the eye shadow that I reach for most often.




Diva bright eye shadow colour of the year goes to Shiseido Shimmering Cream Eye Color in Moss.
I have a deep love for green eye shadows. Depending on the application, I can get a sheer wash of spring green or a bright pigmented green. It also works well as a coloured base and does not smudge or budge throughout the day.



Diva primer of the year goes to Too Faced Shadow Insurance.
It works just as well as my long time favourite Urban Decay Primer Potion, it wins however because of the squeeze tube packaging which makes sure you get every last precious drop of primer and ensures no wastage.



Diva mascara of the year goes to Lancome's Hypnose Precious Cells.
I had this since last July and it is still going strong, I know I have to throw it away soon but I just can't. I get vavavoom lashes when my normal lashes are puny and sparse.

Diva eye liner of the year goes to nobody! 
I have yet to find an eye liner that will suit my needs. I need a tear proof and smudge proof eye liner. 




The closest to diva status is Make Up For Ever Aqua Liners. Their colour selection is amazing and these guys are virtually indestructible so much so that they also very tough to remove. You need plenty of eye make up remover and a lot of patience.



The Diva false lash of the year goes to Ardell's 108.
Their super flexible bands that naturally curve along your eye lids ensures ease of application. They are lightweight, soft and supple. I love natural looking lashes with a smidgen of oomph and 108s are exactly that.

Well that is all I have to share, I hope I did not miss anything. I would love to hear what are your divas and duds for eyes.

7 comments:

  1. This is definitely the year for pot e/s!! I've managed to limit myself to ETKs and Loreal Infallibles.. Must resist Shiseido.. must..

    ps. I haven't forgotten to swatch Suqqu's Matsukasa for you! Upcoming I promise!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please Luna please swatch Matsukasa, I'm dying to see it.
    Aw... Shiseido is so much cheaper that the ETKs and the Chanel d'Ombres, you must try at least one shade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jacqueline, thanks for this post, I knew you have tons of eyeshadows! Love love your collection esp Shiseidos and the Chanels!

    The Burberry Midnight Plum looks so gorgeous.

    I am a sucker for eyeshadows but my hoarding got bad so I threw out a few of them and kept only m NARS and Too Faced, TF has exceptionally long staying power but they smash easily.

    My fave smoky eyeshadow palette is NARS Eurydice
    http://www.narscosmetics.com/color/eyes/duo-eyeshadow/eurydice

    My new fave is NARS Galapagos http://www.narscosmetics.com/color/eyes/shimmer-eyeshadow/galapagos

    I realized that my collection are either smoky or shimmery, I should start investing in some matte browns and basic colours.

    Jacqueline, do you think I should invest in good brands or drugstore brands for these basic colours? I was about to get some Bobbi Browns or Tom Ford but I cant decide.

    x

    Rena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rena! Those are very gorgeous colours that you have mentioned.
    Personally I am a snob so I will definitely suggest good brands because the quality. You will probably find good workhorse colours that will use everyday and also something that can be mixed and matched with your existing Nars eye shadows. Tom Ford has two quads that fit your basic colours category I think. Golden Mink and Cocoa Mirage.

    http://www.fablesinfashion.com/2011/12/28/tom-ford-eyeshadow-quad-03-cocoa-mirage-review-swatches-and-photos/

    http://www.frontrowbeauty.com/tom-ford-eye-color-quad-golden-mink-review-swatch-fotd/

    As exciting as the Tom Ford palettes are, I've not tried them so don't know much about the quality. Bobbi Brown on the other hand has IMO been quite good. Soft and pigmented. The colours sometimes look boring but translate well to the eyes. Plus it is cheaper. Have you tried the Urban Decay Naked or Naked2 palette? You can consider that too, it sells for SGD$80 and I think they are selling it at Sephora, not sure if they are still available. For $80 you get 12 beautiful neutral colours that are very pigmented and overall just great shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many pots of shadows! *lol

    I would say that I really like ETK and L'oreal Infallibles.

    I still love eye palettes such as YSL Chromatics (you should give them a try as I am liking the color payoff and finish) & Lunasol Ocean Eyes. The best deal that I bought last year was UD 15th Anniversary palette which has a good mixture of pop and neutral shades. Very value for money.

    Other brands that I had explored were Addiction and Inglot. Really gorgeous and good color pay-off. Definitely going to pick up more eyeshadows from these brands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Sweetie, let me know what you bought okay? I'm a big busy body and love to see what mu others buy.

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.