Saturday, December 10, 2011

Comparison between, MAC 219 Pencil Brush, Sigma E30 Pencil Brush and Hakuhodo B533 SL (E1143) Eyeshadow Brush Pointed

BooBooNinja, one of my readers was asking about how the MAC 219 compares with the Sigma E30 brush. I thought it was a great idea for a post about these three brushes that I have that do basically the same job but have different price points and quality.



Left to right: Sigma, MAC and Hakuhodo

First of all, I need to say that my MAC 219 has been with me for eons. When I first started going make up crazy I was collecting MAC brushes like mad. As you can see my MAC brush is really old and quite gross looking so honestly it may not be a fair comparison.




MAC 219

Price

USD$24.50
USD $9
USD$18
Hair type
Goat
Natural bristles
Horse
Ferrule
Nickel Plated Brass
Not sure
Nickel Brass / Silver


Hakuhodo has the most densely packed bristle as compared with the others. Sigma seems the least dense. When I run my fingers through the bristles, Sigma feels flimsier. My MAC feels scratchy and as you can see is no longer pointed. If I wanted a apply a finer line I tend to use my Sigma. I love my Hakuhodo for my outer v. My MAC brush, I use when I want to blend my cream shadows close to my lash line. Honestly, Hakuhodo gives more bang for its buck. Though it is shorter it has the best hair quality and feels great when I use it on my lids. Personally I love the fact that it is black in colour. It doesn't look as dirty.

If you are however on a budget the Sigma brush is handy and works well too.

Left to right: Sigma, MAC and Hakuhodo


I used all three brushes to pick up some brown eye shadow. The second picture shows the left over shadow on the brushes which I used to swatch again. To be honest, these pictures don't mean much, they pick up pigment and deposit them equally well.

My MAC 219 served me well for many years, I'm sure a new one would be pointier and softer than the one I have. Do I have an urge to buy another MAC 219? Not any time soon, I am totally satisfied with the ones I have.

2 comments:

  1. Jacqueline, I feel so special. My jaw dropped when I read my name; it was like a personal post to me. :) I actually ran over and pulled my SO over to the computer so he could see. :) Thank you for the review!
    Because my skin doesn't do well with scratchy bristles, I'd consider either the MAC or the Hakuhodo. Though the MAC is considerably more $$, it sounds like a new one would be the better option for more detailed work. I already have a good outer-v brush. Things to think about...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey BooBooNinja it was my pleasure! I'm glad to be able to help and besides I'm always looking for great ideas and suggestions. I hope it really helps!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.