Friday, July 29, 2011

Le Métier de Beauté 'Penelope' Kaleidoscope Eye Kit Swatches and Reviews


I am recently besotted with Le Métier de Beauté. They are a relatively small and exclusive cosmetic line. They are well-known for their high-quality cosmetics. For their eye shadows, they have this Couches de couleur concept which means when their eye shadows are layered over each other, instead of a muddy mess you get a different colour.

(Taken from Le Métier de Beauté website)

Couches de couleur brilliant

With unparalleled versatility and brilliant colors, these ultra-fine, silk-like powders possess superior blendability and outstanding color payoff.
  • Different finishes create an array of striking effects.
  • Signature layering technique – Couches de Couleur – creates a unique prismatic effect.
  • Weightless, true-to-color pigments.
  • Adjustable coverage, transparency and intensity.

Instead of getting individual colours and worry about how to pair and match them. I decided to take a deep breath, clutch my well used wallet and take a plunge and get the Penelope Kaleidoscope Eye Kit.



(Taken from Nordstrom website)

The Kaleidoscope Eye Kit combines four of Le Métier de Beauté's quadruple-milled velvety eyeshadows in a clever internal stacking system exclusive to the brand. It's the perfect way to create your favorite eye look on the go in a portable, compact kit. Shadows are crease-resistant and long-wearing, in weightless, true-to-color pigments.

Le Métier de Beauté's new summer Penelope Kaleidoscope Eye Kit captures all of the beauty of the Mediterranean panorama. With four opulent shadow shades—Blonde Amber, Pale Satin Amethyst, Bronze Topaz and Black Emerald—the gods would be proud.


This baby costs USD $95. I don't even want to convert this into SGD. This is the most I have ever paid for a single cosmetic item. I don't even want to justify how I'm getting 4 regular pans for a cheaper price. Yes I must be crazy, yes I am a on-line shopperholic and yes I am very vain.




After opening the box, I find the Eye Kit wrapped with bubble wrap and a silver foil like paper. How thoughtful. I was so worried that my eye kit would be damaged during its travels. I did not have to worry at all, Nordstrom always takes great care in packing and this little additional thoughtfulness. I felt like I was opening a treasure actually. After taking care to remove the bubble wrap and foil. I uncover this.



I held it in my hands and went wow! I love love the packaging.


The first layer holds the compact mirror.


There is a silver magnetic catch that holds to top layer in place.


The trays swivel out and secures with a satisfying click which ensures the trays don't swing out.

I apologise but I am a noob when it comes to lighting. I just want to capture the colours as accurately as possible. I literally stuck my eye kit out of my window to try and take better shots.

Blond Amber




Pale Satin Amethyst




Bronze Topaz




Black Emerald




Now on to the arm swatches. This is new so I was a little hesitant to ruin its pristine condition. I would love to swatch it heavily but my heart cried a little when I thought about spoiling the surface. Maybe next time after I used my eye kit for a while, I will give you a better swatch.



The eye shadows are very soft.

You know how sometimes you buy something and when you reach home you know you made a mistake. Well this isn't the case. I feel that my money is well spent. This is one of the nicest eye palettes I own. There is a mix of colours that work so well together.

Just in case you wanted to know what are the ingredients, here it is.





The above is a subtle smoky look I did with all 4 colours to test out the Couches de couleur concept. The colours when layered together became a multi dimensional taupe. It was not a muddy mess at all. I love the Pale Satin Amethyst. It added colour to an otherwise neutral palette. The shadows were long wearing and did not crease at all. They were very easy to blend. Love this! 


Ratings: 5+ lipsticks

11 comments:

  1. I love how luxe the packaging looks! I'm a huge fan of simple, classy and understated looking packaging, not a fan of very princessy or ornate packaging at all. But I would probably not dare take this packaging anywhere because it looks a little bulky and it would be awful if the swivel hinge broke! The colours look great - very subtly pretty, great for work or every day and

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, the standout item from LMdB is their Eye Kit. However I have a love/hate relationship with the choice of colors. You see, I'm a very peculiar person. If it's neutrals, I see all the earth tones. If its smokey, out comes the greys and blacks. But however much I love Blonde Amber and Bronze Topaz, I can't quite figure out the addition of the other two shades.

    The color concept though, is really interesting.I like the 'pinkish' taupe part, you did such a nice LOTD! Perhaps its time for me to step out of my comfort zone, lol.

    P.S. Don't worry about the price, the deed is done, sealed, signed and paid for. Haha! Cheers to more premium makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their choice of colours does seem like it wouldn't complement each other but it does. For me, the lavender and green black shades go so well with the neutrals. I love what you said about the deed being done. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same packaging as vidi vici's...

    http://www.vdvc.co.kr/shop/goods/goods_list.php?&category=002004

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my I checked out the link you provided, they do share the same packaging, I wonder who came out with it first?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jacqueline, it looks like I am a step behind you in several of your makeup loves! :) It's good for me because I get to pick your brain. The bad thing is that so many of your loves are limited editions!

    I've never played with LMdB eyeshadows before. Do the e/s have to be layered, or do they have enough pigmentation to be stand alone e/s? Is the Penelope kaleidescope something I should set my heart on acquiring? (You don't have to answer the second question... it's sort of to myself.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Boo Boo, nope the shadows do not need to be layered, they are very pigmented on their own but if you do layer them you get a multi dimensional colour. Example when Pale Satin Amethyst is layered with Blond Amber you get a lilac taupe shade.I don't think you need to hunt for Penelope although I must say I love the Black Emerald shade best. Wait for the new Kaleidoscope to come out, between the Northern Lights and Silk Road kaleidoscope I like Northern Lights better.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the feedback. I think that I'll try to see the LMdB shadows in person before I go about investing in them. That's what a "responsible" BooBooNinja would do. Heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to paying USD $95 I think we all need to be more responsible. You can always try their single shadows first, there are some great shades avaliable.

      Delete
    2. The tricky thing is that I don't live near a LMdB counter. On the other hand, that's a good thing because it means I can give the lusting a break. I'll put it to the side and consider it the next time I can make it to the States.

      Delete
    3. I find that not having a counter near me doesn't stop me from buying makeup if I make up my mind to get it. I am so terrible. You know Zuneta carries LMdB now right??? (wink) (wink)

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.