Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Make Up For Ever Aqua Liner reviews and swatches




High Precision Waterproof Eye liner

Aqua Liner is a high precision waterproof liquid eyeliner. Rich in pigments and polymers, its formula guarantees intense color and an outstanding waterproof result. Its ergonomic applicator lets you easily apply an ultra precise line to create an eyeliner makeup look. Aqua liner is available in a wide range of vibrant shades with matte, iridescent and diamond finishes. Easily remove with waterproof makeup remover.



When I saw and heard news of the new Aqua Liners, I knew I had to have them. Waterproof, smudge proof and in 15 gorgeous colours, it had my name written all over it.

#1 - Diamond Gold
#3 - Iridescent Emerald Green
#4 - Diamond Lagoon Green
#5 - Diamond Turquoise Blue
#6 - Iridescent Navy Blue
#7- Diamond Black Purple
#8 - Iridescent Electric Purple
#9 - Iridescent Fuchsia
#10 - Iridescent Red
#11 - Diamond Burgundy
#12 - Mat Mocha
#13 - Mat Black
#14 - Diamond Multi Colour Black
#15 - Iridescent Anthracite
#16 - Diamond White

What happened to #2? I am not sure why they skipped the #2. The ones with the name Diamond  have sparkles in them whereas the Iridescent ones are shiny.





Aqua Liners come in a tube very similar to the MAC Superslick Liquid Eye Liners. (You can read my review of MAc Superslick eye liners here) MUFE ones sell for USD $23 for 0.058 oz or 1.7 ml. MAC ones sell for USD $17.50 for 0.06 oz. They have almost the same amount of product. It is about SGD $30. I also had to pay about SGD $4 each for shipping. So each liner cost me about SGD $34. It costs SGD $38 in Singapore.

The ends are coloured so it is easy for you to pick out the shade you want if you keep them upright.


It has a short foam tipped applicator that makes it easy to control and line lids. It is shorter than MAC's. I am very used to pen style liquid eye liners which I find very easy to use. For me, this applicator takes a little practice if  I want to get a really nice and precise line.


On to the swatches! Aren't they absolutely gorgeous?

Taken indoors. #3, #4 and # 8.

MAC Superslick Eye liner in Pure Show on the far right

Under sunlight
They apply wet and take very little time to dry down. It took about 20 seconds to dry and once it sets there were no transfers on lids. #4 Diamond Lagoon Green was less opaque as compared to #3 and #4. 

#8 Iridescent Electric Purple on eye lids


For the above eye swatch, I applied about 3 layers to achieve the intensity of the purple.

I also did a water and rub test. The colours did not run when I stuck my arm into running water.


However, it did not survive a very vigorous rubbing. I don't think any eye liner would survive it. Notice that it doesn't smudge instead comes off in tiny flakes. When I removed the liner from my eyes with Maybelline's Total Clean Express Makeup remover, it also came off in flakes.


I dabbed my eye with the liner with water and blinked many times and went about with my work at home. After about 10 minutes I dabbed more water on my eyes. The liner did not smudge or come off. I'm not sure whether it will survive a tear test. I have to keep you updated.


These are some of my eye looks. I usually pair colourful eye liners with a neutral shadow or a contrasting colour.



#3 Iridescent Emerald Green with Stila Kitten Smudgepot



#4 Diamond Lagoon Green with copper shade from Dior Summer Star quad

#8 Iridescent Electric Purple with MAC Metamorphosis

With Ardell 108 Lashes

I wore #4 out for 5 hours. In order to get it to stand out I applied at least 3 layers. It lasted throughout and stayed shiny until I took it off. I found that this time, the liner was a little stubborn. After using an eye make up remover, a cleansing oil and a facial cleanser, I still had some residue left. I did not want to rub it off so I dabbed it with more eye make up remover after. It did not happen with #8. I think it depends on the number of layers I applied. 

Stila has also their version of the Sparkle Waterproof Liquid Eye Liners that costs USD $22. They have 8 shades in all but the only shade worth looking at is Curacao. (See Temptalia's swatch here)

If these Aqua Liners work well in the tear proof department, I'll be getting more. I want both the matt black and the black with multi coloured shimmers. I want Stila's Curacao too!

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I'm wondering how someone will use the red one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very tempted to get the bright pink version but somehow I don't think I can pull it off. I am dying to see an eotd with the red or pink.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.