Sunday, May 1, 2011

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Shadow Pencils in Lit and Morphine Reviews and Swatches


Urban Decay has been releasing new products recently. The only thing that truly caught my eye was the shadow pencils.


Big and blendable, this 2-in-1 waterproof 24/7 shadow pencil keeps going as long as you do. Our next generation of famous 24/7 pencils can be used as eyeshadow, eyeliner, or both!

They’re crease-proof, they’re waterproof… it’s the next generation of 24/7 Pencils! Our Shadow Pencils deliver incredible color payout, but feel lightweight. The new fat shape allows you to cover large areas more quickly. Use the thin tip as eyeliner, or the side of the tip as a generous swipe of eyeshadow. Luscious drop-dead shades make you feel every inch the creative type, as you blend shimmer, cream and sparkle finishes. Skip the powder shadow brushes and water – our pencils make it easier than ever to get vibrant eyeshadow looks on the go. Experiment with multiple shades layered together, then blend away for an unbelievable effect that sets and stays put. All shades are paraffin, mineral oil, and paraben-free.


Fill Weight: 2.8g e 0.10 US oz


There are altogether 12 shades.
 
Barracuda - Black
Delinquent - Dark purple with bright purple sparkle
Midnight Cowboy - Beige with silver sparkle
Rehab - Taupe
Clash - Bright turquoise with silver sparkle
Lit - Golden bronze
Morphine - Light purple with pale blue shift
Sin - Champagne
Clinic - Emerald green with silver sparkle
Mercury - Gunmetal
Narc - Mossy green
Wasteland -Dark brown
 
 

 
I had my eye of Lit a golden bronze. I'm drawn to gold shades lately. It is a warm gold suitable for warm skin tones. I find yellow golds harder to pull off for my skin tone. I decided to get Morphine too because it is such a unique purple lilac.
 


These are creamy. They glide on like butter and were intensely pigmented when swatched on the hand. When I applied them on my lids with Urban Decay Primer Potion underneath, I found them more difficult to blend. I found Morphine to apply slightly patchy. Although it is not obvious, it is visible when I took a picture.


I also tried using these without Urban Decay's Primer Potion, I felt that they glided more smoothly. (So note these pencils do not need a base underneath.) I applied powder eye shadow on top and it lasted for 10 hours without creasing and smudging on my oily lids. These pencils grab onto powder eye shadows like nobody's business.

This sets fast, you don't have much time to blend once you apply. I use my fingers to gently blend once I apply. Once it sets, it is smudge proof, waterproof and bulletproof! It doesn't budge at all until you take it off.


Morphine on lids

Lit on lids blended with MAC Rubenesque Paint Pot
I think these guys are great as a single shade eye washes. The darker shades would be great as a thick eye liner and on the water line. I'm not sure if it is easy to blend the darker shades but given the experience with Morphine and Lit, it can be done. I am just uneasy about all the pulling and tugging on my eye lid. So be gentle on your lids as you blend.
These pencils sell for USD $20. It just pains me that I have to pay SGD $36 here. I'm especially sad that I can't buy these online anymore. They do not accept international credit cards.Urban Decay makes great bright shades. Their neutral shades have an extra oomph. There is nothing subdued about them.
Generally Urban Decay Shadow Pencils have great reviews on Makeupalley. You can find general reviews here and reviews of Morphine here. Temptalia has the best swatches around. Check them out here and here.

They are very convenient to tote around. They do need need a jumbo pencil sharpener. This also means that there will be product wastage when you sharpen. I wish they were a lot easier to blend. Tugging and pulling your lids will eventually cause wrinkles.

Ratings: 3 lipsticks

4 comments:

  1. knowing myself that im a bit slow when it comes to blending skills, im going to stick to my conventional powder shadows hahaha :P

    Lit looks nice though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I can't help myself, even though I know it might be difficult to blend cream eye shadows I still buy them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you still reach for these pencils?
    Has Morphine's texture improved with age?
    I read somewhere that Morphine is great as a base colour, and that it makes an eyeshadow you put on top take on a duochrome finish.
    The Makeupalley reviews on Morphine are mixed.
    I'm debating on whether to drag my lazy bum to Sephora to try it out.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.