Monday, April 18, 2011

Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in 950 Black Review


I am having trouble with my cream/gel eyeliners. My favourite MAC Blacktrack and Clinique Brush-on Cream Liner are not as soft and smooth like before. They are not totally dried out but do not apply as smoothly. This always happens to my pot eyeliners. I tried scraping the top portion to get to the softer portion, it works for a while but it dries up again. I must admit I have had them for almost a year so I guess for hygiene purposes I should throw them out.

Rant: Why can't companies make smaller pots and sell them cheaper? It is highly unlikely to ever finish an entire pot of product. By the time you get through half of it, it dries up! The expiration date for gel eyeliners is 4 to 6 months. I'm guilty of holding on to makeup for way too long.

There are a few ways to lengthen the use of your cream/gel eyeliners. Store your pot upside down. Keep it away from harsh lights and always make sure you cap it tightly. Don't ever leave the cap off even when you are lining your eyes. Scoop what you need, cap it, then line your eyes.

To soften up dried up gel eyeliners, you can blast your gel/cream container with a hair dryer on medium heat. Make sure your container is able to withstand the heat though. I have tried this and my MAC Blacktrack and Stila Smudge pot became butter soft. I expected it to go back to its original consistency after it is cooled but a few days later I tried using my Stila Smudge Pot and found it to be soft.

Anyway for hygiene sake,  I still need a gel eye liner asap, so I grabbed the one that was the most accessible. Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner at the local drugstore near my place. I have had good experiences with the brown version. This cost SGD $19.90. Shame that it only cost USD $5.99 on Ulta. There are a total of 4 shades, Blackest Black, Brown, Charcoal and Eggplant. Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to locate the other colours in Singapore. So far I have only seen the brown and black version.







I really love the brush that comes with it. It is very good, comparable to my Bobbi Brown ultra fine eye brush.




Left to right: Maybelline, Stila and MAC

Stila and MAC are slightly more dark compared to Maybelline. It is more obvious when applied on the eye. It doesn't dry instantly. You need to close your eyes for a few more seconds or else it will smudge.

On its own

Lorac Pro Liner over it
Lisa Eldridge my new favourite makeup guru did a video about great drugstore products and Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner was one of them featured. Check it out.


I must have the world's oiliest eyes because this still smudges on me after a full day of use. A full day's work means almost ten hours. It did manage to stay alright at the six hour mark. By the end of the day some product has managed to find its way the my bottom eye lid especially around the corners. I found that lining Lorac's Pro liquid eye liner helped it last a tad longer.

That being said every eye liner eventually smudges on me including MAC Blacktrack, Clinique's Brush On Cream Liner, Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner and Stila's Smudge pot.

For ladies who do not have my eye problem, I definitely recommend this. It performs just as well as the higher end brands. It is cheaper and will cause you less of a heartache if it dries up on you.


Edited to add: I downgraded my ratings because after using it for about 7 months, the product dried up and made it very difficult to apply.

Ratings: 2+ lipsticks

5 comments:

  1. I only have 2 gel liners, yet I have a 50-50% success with them. I love my KATE gel liner (was my first) but it really dried up. I also tried to scratch off the top and use the goodie underneath, but after 2 or 3 days that part dried up too.
    My other gel liner is from Elizabeth Arden, and even tho it's not claimed to be waterproof or smudge-proof or to has special abilities, if you don't touch it, it won't move. (okay, just a tiny little bit, but it's really tiny) aaaaaaand...........after 1 and a half year it's like new, no dried parts, nothing.
    you should try it too! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna, thanks for the recomendation. I'll go to the counters and sneak a swatch. How have you been sweetie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you're really good at lining with gel liners! I tried once with a Wet n Wild liner and... it did not go well at all! I'll stick to my trusty HG, Kate Super Sharp :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rachel, I'm no where near the pros and it took me a long long time and much experimenting. Some liners come in a brush which I find really difficult. Pen style ones are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jacqueline, I am using MAC blacktrack. My lids are super oily so I would prime it with Too Faced eyeshadow insurance. I can't live without it. My advice for a brush is a bent fine tip brush, mine is from Smashbox. Gives you more control and i do a cat flick everyday. X Rena

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.