Saturday, April 23, 2011

Make Up For Ever High Definition Foundation in 123 Review and Swatch





I wanted a fuller coverage foundation for nights out. Something that would help my skin look good when photographed. I've been wanting to try out MUFE's HD Foundation so decided to get colour matched at Sephora Ion.

(Taken from Make Up For Ever website)

The MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Complexion products use innovative formulas to create a new generation of make up which is both invisible on HD cameras and to the naked eye. The HD Foundation is an oil-free medium-to-full coverage liquid foundation which covers skin imperfections, while remaining invisible on-screen and in real life. Its extremely fine texture is supple and easy to apply. Enriched with moisturizing agents, it leaves the skin soft and radiant. It is available in a wide range of shades to suit all skin tones.

Ingredients:
Amino acid pigments

Oil-free texture
Sericite
Relipidium
Fucogel
Glycerin


Dermatologist tested

There are altogether 26 shades on the website. I'm not sure whether Singapore MUFE  has all the shades featured from the website but I'm very sure it has a wider range of shades for all sorts of skin tones as compared to some beauty companies that have very limited shades.





The SA, Amanda, tried two shades 123 - Desert and 125 - Sand on my neck as I had makeup on. I appreciate that she did not want to disturb my makeup. I always thought foundation should be tested on the side of the chin so this is new to me. 123- Desert looks like a better match on my neck so I settled for this shade.


It comes in a sturdy transparent plastic bottle. I can easily see how much product is left. The pump dispenser is hygienic. I just need to learn to dispense the right amount of foundation.



Left to right: Ga Luminous Silk in 5.5, GA Lasting Silk in 7, MUFE HD Foundation in 123 and Lancome Teint Miracle in O-04.



Second to the left, GA Lasting Silk not blended well thus looks slightly ashy
You can see that the GA foundations are more neutral. Lancome and MUFE leans towards yellow. MUFE is a touch darker than Teint Miracle.

I read through quite a few reviews, most of them said that it covered facial imperfections well. I am very used to sheerer foundations so was worried that this will be mask-like.

For my first try, I used less than half a pump. I used a damp sponge to blend. I was mindful that the foundation would set fast so placed a few dots on the area I wanted and blended it before moving on to another. The coverage was better than my usual foundations without being mask like. I did not need to use a concealer except under my eyes. As an oil-free foundation, it works well on my normal combination skin. It lasted through my cooking session (I made my favourite spinach, minced pork and cheese baked pasta before going out with my family) and a movie show, about 5 hours, without it turning oily.

Less than half a pump, blended with a damp sponge
For my second try, using the same method as mentioned to apply my foundation, it lasted 10 hours on me without blotting my face.

I also tried a full pump with my Giorgio Armani Face Blender foundation brush for a night out. I found out that one pump was just too much, I couldn't finish using it. It gave me great coverage without feeling heavy on the skin. I skipped concealer entirely. It didn't give me a all matte look, more soft focused and with a slight glow. I had it on for 4 hours without blotting. I took a picture using flash and realised that my face didn't shine like it did normally.

My thoughts about the foundation:

I think it is a great foundation for your beauty arsenal. For normal to combination skins, oil control is great. It never felt heavy on my skin. For this foundation, I definitely reccommend using a primer underneath as it will help the foundation glide smoothly over your face. You need to use a light hand for application as it can provide too much coverage. If you prefer a sheerer application, use less than half a pump with a damp sponge. Slightly more than half a pump with a foundation brush for fuller coverage. You need to blend fast. I find the pump slightly hard to control. It is hard to exert the right amount of force to get the right amount of product, but I think with practice I will eventually be able to get the hang of it. Try to buy it online at Sephora Amazon with other products. SGD $75 is way overpriced considering that it costs only USD $40. The US exchange rate is still quite favourable to us.

Ratings: 4+ lipsticks

2 comments:

  1. Please help me. my skin color is estee lauder double wear 3n1-3w1 or nutritious 3 . which color the same for lasting silk. pleasee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anon I try my best, let me go check it out for you get back to you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.