Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Giorgio Armani's Luminous Silk Foundation in 5.5 Review

My Holy Grail foundation so far has been Giorgio Armani's Lasting Silk Foundation in shade 7. I'm also a great fan of Lancome's Teint Miracle.

After comparing swatches of Teint Miracle and GA I realise that my HG GA foundation may be too dark for me! This is already my second bottle, so have I gone fairer in the last few years? The Giorgio Armani shade 7 is described as a Tan (medium to dark shade) which is definitely not my skin tone now.

I recently received a sample of yet another of GA's famous foundations, its Luminous Silk Foundation in 5.5. (Thanks Kathy!) I was curious to see how did it match up to my skin tone.


As seen in the press, capture the glow of perfect skin with this award-winning foundation. Luminous Silk foundation is an oil-free fluid with exclusive Micro-fil technology. So weightless, it redefines foundation. Its hydrating fluid glides on seamlessly with a silky texture and all-day, buildable coverage. For all skin types.
  • weightless and luminous oil-free fluid
  • natural finish
  • all-day sheer to moderate coverage
Application techniques:
Apply with the unique blender brush for a radiant, air-brushed finish.
InStyle's "Best Liquid Foundation" 2010 Award Winner for the 9th Year in a Row.
ELLE's "Hall of Fame" 2010 Award Winner


I tried this while I was still sick. I'm not sure if being sick affects my skin tone colouring but I know for a fact that I haven't been out in the sun for the last 3 weeks. I used a primer and applied the foundation sparingly. It actually matches my skin tone. Weird!


Under bright sunlight
Lumious Silk Foundation has a thinner consistency than Lasting Silk Foundation. Unlike Lasting Silk foundation that gives you a medium to almost full coverage, Luminous Silk gives a sheer to medium coverage. My acne scars and sun spots were quite visible, I look like I have a more even skin tone. I love how lightweight it is and after a few hours of wear, it did not turn oily on me. Great for weekend wear. I agree that it had a natural finish, not so sure about the glow but it is definitely not matt like Lasting Silk Foundation.


I have swatched it side by side with Teint Miracle and Lasting Silk Foundation so you can see that shade difference. As you can clearly see, Teint Miracle is more yellow based.

Under bright sunlight

Left to right: Luminous Silk Foundation in 5.5, Teint Miracle in O-04 and Lasting Silk Foundation in 7.
Under bright sunlight


GA's Luminous Silk Foundation is going for USD$59. I'm quite tempted to buy it but I'm also interested in Chanel's new Vitalumiere Aqua. At this time though, I have put in an order of GA's Lasting Silk foundation. Since shade 7 is now too dark for me, I opted for a 5.5. I'm crossing my fingers that it will match, if not I'll just mix both shades till I get a good match I guess. Till the new Chanel foundation comes out, I'm going to make use of my little sample to the very last drop. Perhaps I will make a decision then.
You must be wondering why does a girl need so many foundations. Unfortunately, I'm not blessed with flawless skin. My face is full of old acne scars and sun spots. So I need something to help me achieve better skin. Also, different situations require different kinds of coverage. At work, I definitely need something that looks polished but not too made up. It must hold up throughout the day. On special evenings out, I want flawless skin which means fuller coverage. On weekends, I want to look like I have great skin but not look like I applied foundation. I haven't found one foundation that fits all requirements. So whenever I come across something that feels great on my skin and helps it look better, I go into hoarding mode. I'm not that bad actually, I currently have only 3 foundations on rotation. I know of many who have many foundations.

So how many do you have? Confessing time!

4 comments:

  1. it looks great! and it does match your skin tone quite well :) as for my stash, i have one of each type, cream to powder, liquid, cream, powder, pressed, stick... total of 6 foundies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sweetie, I really do hope so. I took a risk and ordered GA Lasting Silk UV in shade 5.5. I also realise that everyone says I'm really pale now because of my illnesss, I do hope I get some colour back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a tinted moisturizer, two liquids, and a powder - four! I think it's reasonable to have several foundations for different days/occasions/purposes :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Larie, I totally agree with you. I'm also eying the MUFE HD foundation, seems like it is very good has anyone tried them?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.