Sunday, March 6, 2011

Eye makeup remover face off Clinique versus Maybelline


I love my Clinique Take the day off makeup remover for lids, lashes and lips ( see my review here). Unfortunately, it is really expensive here. SGD$39. It sells for only USD$18. That is about SGD$24 by recent conversion rate. I get mine online when I can but sometimes when I run out, it is not economical to just order this online.

Few months back, desperate for a replacement and tired of paying $39 for a makeup remover, I bought Maybelline's Total Clean Express Makeup Remover. It sells for SGD$9.90 for a 70 ml bottle. 


The makeup remover is a dual phase liquid formula. Like Clinique, you need to shake it well to mix the liquid up. The eye area is sensitive, rough tugging and rubbing will eventually loosen the skin area and cause more wrinkles. It is important to soak your cotton pad with enough makeup remover and place it on your eye and hold it there for some time. The makeup remover will "loosen" up your makeup and a few gentle swipes will remove your eye makeup entirely.


So I did a little experiment. I did a quick eye makeup using all the water resistant, tough to remove products I have.



What I used:
Urban Decay Primer Potion, Make up For Ever Aqua Creams in Green and Gold, MAC Blacktrack Fluidline, MAC Penultimate Liner in Rapid Black and my tough to remove Maybelline Volume Turbo Express waterproof mascara.

Cotton pad soaked with Clinique Take the day off makeup remover


After about 45 seconds of placing cotton pad onto my eyelid, this was what was removed.


As you can see, there are some remaining makeup left.


After a few more swipes with the cotton pad, my eye is squeaky clean.

Cotton pad soaked with Maybelline Total Clean

45 seconds later

After one swipe

After a few swipes
My conclusion, Maybelline Total Clean works just as well as Clinique but at a fraction of the cost. Makeup remover is something you need to use enough of to help you remove your makeup. If you are constantly worried about how much product you are using, you may not use enough to be able to remove makeup effectively. Remover is also something you will wash off, it doesn't stay on your face, unlike skincare. I feel that it is something I can save on.




Ratings: 5+ lipsticks

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I've also been using the Maybelline Total Clean Express Makeup Remover but recently I finished it and when I went around looking to repurchase it, I could not find it anywhere! Do you know if they have discontinued this product? ):

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I am currently trying out a version by Neutrogena so I haven't noticed. I'll pop by and check later. Given how often Maybelline changes its products, I wouldn't be too surprised.

      Delete
  2. the Bourjois eyemakeup remover is very good too! its only $16 i think for a massive bottle. you can check that out too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon thanks for the recc, I'll go check it out. I am currently using the Neutrogena one which I find is also good. :)

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.