Sunday, January 24, 2010

beautyblender Review




So what is this cute pinkie object? A beautyblender of course!

Okay I must say this again, no I did not break my new year's resolution of buying only one makeup item a month. I bought this along with other "things" at Beauty.com at the end of December. (I went crazy during Christmas!) I just been too busy to review and take pictures.

I don't know what made me buy this. I saw a video from youtube of a makeup application demonstration using the beautyblender. I have seen beautyblender before and have heard some raves about it. So I guess it was in the back of my mind. I think partly I also wanted something that would give me a better application for my cream blushers.

Taken from beautyblender website:

Beautyblender’s patent-pending elliptical shape makes application foolproof by allowing you to access hard-to-reach areas with stunning ease. Its suede texture is sensual to the touch and its unique curves fit the contours of your face, leaving your make up dazzling and undetectable. Beautyblender is latex free, non-allergenic and odor free.



Blend your way to a flawless face! Seeing make up is the first sign of an amateur application. Beautyblender was created without edges in order to eliminate visible lines and streaks. So go ahead, experiment fearlessly with your Beautyblender and discover the many ways its unique shape will set you free!




Bounce Beautyblender against your face when applying make up. Bouncing, called stippling in the make up world, blends make up without creating changes in the texture or tone of your skin. Use Beutyblender's pointed side for hard-to-reach spots like around the nose and mouth, and under the eyes. Use the round base for foundation and blush on the larger areas of your face such as your forehead, cheeks and chin.




If you apply make up with your fingers you'll find that Beautyblender will smooth and refine your make up to provide a clean finish.




Use Beautyblender damp when applying wet/dry make up. When Beautyblender is wet it is normal for it to expand to nearly twice its original size. Wash after use and place in the Beautyblender insert pedestal to dry. Beautyblender should not come in contact with extreme heat of any kind.




If you have problem skin Beautyblender works to cover blemishes. Use the pointed end and the stipple and twist technique to work make up into depressed areas of the face. The stippling and twisting action feathers out the make up's edges, leaving a perfect finish.




 
It comes with a cleanser satchet and instructions on how to use it.
 


I use this end for my cream blushers. I follow the instructions and dampen my sponge then dry it on tissue paper. Then I lightly bounce this end on my cream blusher. I make a smiley face and gently bounce the sponge off my cheeks. I really like the effect it gives, enough product is applied so I don't need to layer it with my powder blushers but still natural looking. Now I don't have to stick my fingers into my blusher pots.





I use this end to apply my undereye concealor. I use the same method as before. Unfortunately I don't see any difference as to the finish. It still looks the same if I used any old makeup sponge.

I do notice something really cute. After washing throughly with soap (I can't bear to use the cleanser yet) and squeezing out the water, my sponge becomes really big and can't even fit back into its container. But after a few hours it shrinks!

It is a pricy little thing! For one sponge it costs USD$19.50. The kit which comes with a bottle of cleanser and 1 sponge costs USD$34.95! Can't normal soap do the job???

Sonia Kashuk also makes a similar belnding sponge but it costs only USD$9.99. I haven't used it so can't make a fair comparison. It is blue in colour. You can see the image of it here.

So do I think it is a good buy. I'm not sure. I can't really tell yet. I probably need to see how it works with my Giorgio Armani foundation and compare that with my favourite foundation brush first.

2 comments:

  1. wow it's so weird! o_O I haven't used sponges for ages and now I can't imagine handle this..uhm ball?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just amazed how it shrinks in size everytime it dries up. When using this to apply my GA foundation I find coverage to be much sheerer that what I would have preferred.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.