Monday, December 7, 2009

Standard Chartered Marathon 2009




For my birthday this year, I ran the Standard Chartered Half Marathon as a gift for myself. My dear hubby made the run more special by book us into the Fullerton Hotel for two nights. He is the sweetest. Runs like this usually start very early in the morning, it is hard to get to the city at 5.30 a.m. in the morning because public transport only starts at 6 a.m. on Sundays. The start point is very near Fullerton and thus I could sleep a little longer and not worry about transport.

They have this Time for Two package and I get the nicest bouquet of roses, in addition to that we received 2 sets of bathrobes. The view is amazing, I get to see the start line from the balcony. I got up earlier to catch the elite marathon runners starting off for their full marathon. I get thrills seeing the Kenyan runners sprint off. So amazing to see how fast they run considering they run at that speed for the full 42.2 km.



I was very nervous walking to the start point. I worried about so many issues. But once he horn sounded and I began running, it didn't matter anymore. As I was running, I kept telling myself I was fulfilling my goal and that kept me going. The last few kilometers were truly excruciating. My toes and soles were sore. It was really better to run. I did a run walk strategy. For every 18 minutes of run and walked for about 2 minutes. The last two kilometers were electrifying. Supporters lined up along the barriers screaming and clapping away. It felt so good seeing the finish line. I almost burst into tears, I felt so proud of myself. I finished 21.2 km in about 2 hours and 47 minutes.

That is me with my finisher's medal.




After finishing my run and having a truly well deserved breakfast, I went to bath and change. Runners were still coming in. They also had a Kids Dash where kids from ages of 4 to 12 could race for 750 m. Very cute! I saw some mommies and daddies carrying reluctant runners.





This is my lucky bib number.


And this is my hard earned finishers medal.






I did promise myself I would complete a full marathon. I intend to run a few more half marathons and train on stamina before I attempt it.
I think marathons are for everyone. It doesn't matter if you run it or plod through it, so long as you have put in the effort to train and prepare yourself. Marathon running shouldn't be elitist. (Some views are that if you can't run it within a certain time you shouldn't run it at all) We all start out slow and we improve as we go on.
I'm looking forward to next year's run. Onward ho!

4 comments:

  1. ohmygod! You ran that much?!
    I never was good at running, so I stay away as much as possible >.<
    Congratulation! This was a great work of you! Do it next time too! Will you break your time record? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup I do hope to make this an annual event and hopefully I get better as a train.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this post my dear :)
    You are such an inspiration for a healthier and more active living! You are great xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kekeke that was 4 years back but I did not fulfill my promise to run the full marathon.

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.