Monday, December 21, 2009

Lip balm reviews and comparisons

I tend to have dry lips. I sleep in an air-conditioned room and that doesn't help keep my lips moist. I use a lot of lip balm. My my lips are soft and moisturised, I find that my lip glosses and lipsticks go on smoother.




I have tried I few, so I am going to attempt to compare the few that I own.



The first one I own is the multi-purpose Rosebud Salve. I always rub the excess on to my dry scabby knee caps. Although it lists a whole range of uses I've only tried it on very dry parts of my body.





Burt's Bees Replenishing Lip balm with Pomegranate Oil. I found this in Hong Kong last year. It made sure my lips were soft and supple throughout my trip.



Kiehl's Lip Balm with SPF 15. I use this when I go jogging. Vain pot that I am want to protect my lips and yet look nice. I use this on the beach too. Never a chore to protect your lips from the sun, you will be surprised how much damage it can do to your lips.






Finally, the clear Kiehl's Lip Balm with SPF4. I received this as a gift after a recycled my used Kiehl's bottles.





Comparisons




Effectiveness:
Out of all four I love my Rosebud Salve best for night and Burt's Bees for a lip prep before lipstick or gloss application. Kiehl's is disappointing. I find that it my lips a cracked and peeling, it doesn't help me heal unlike Rosebud.

Winner: Rosebud Salve








Price:
Kiehl's is the most expensive at USD $6.50 with the SPF 4 version and USD $9.50 for the SPF15 coloured version. Both have about 15ml of product. Burt's Bees cost USD$2.99 for 4.2 g (SGD $14) and the cheapest would be Rosebud Salve at USD $4.25 for 22g (SGD $10) . Honestly don't buy them in Singapore, everything is all so expensive.

Winner: Rosebud Salve








Packaging:
I love Kiehl's slanted application and Burt's Bees lipstick type tube. It makes application much easier. I hate the tin packaging because I either waste a cotton bud getting the product out or my fingers (yup not very hygienic).

Winner: Burt's Bees








Variety:
Rosebud Salve has a total of 6 different flavours (All clear lip balms though), Rosebud Salve, Strawberry Lip Balm, Menthol and Eucalyptus Lip Balm, Minted Rose Lip Balm, Brambleberry Rose Lip Balm and Mocha Rose Lip Balm.



Burt's Bees has five different versions, Beeswax, Honey, Replenishing with Pomengranate Oil, Medicated and Sun protecting. The version with the pomegranate oil gives a subtle hint of pink to lips.



Kiehl's has 3 versions, SPF 4 unscented (clear), SPF 4 scented with 6 different scents (clear) Cranberry, Pear, Mint, Coconut, Mango and Vanilla and SPF 15 clear and hue 30G and Hue 58B.



Winner: Rosebud Salve








As you can see Rosebud Salve is a clear winner followed by Burt's Bees.

6 comments:

  1. wow It's indeed true that pricey stuffs often worse than cheaper things O.O

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, im wanting to buy burts bee lip products. do you know where can i buy them in singapore and how much do they cost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can get Burt's Bees at Sephora at Ion in Orcahrd Road, I'm not sure of the price though but I bet it is more than $10. Hey keep me updated about the price if you happen to buy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh.. haha im only 15 and i dont think i can go to orchard and get that..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    I am a lip balm/ gloss junkie. Pray tell me where you got the Smith's Rosebud Salve?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there you can get Rosebud at either of the Sephora shops, they are by the cashier. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.