Saturday, July 11, 2009

Comparison Reviews of Primers

Facial primers or foundation primers do a lot of things besides helping your foundation stay in place. With the new formulations to date, many can help reduce the appearance of large pores and fine lines. IT can help with oil control or give you a luminous glow from within.

I've been a faithful user of MAC's Prep and Prime for the last couple of years. This year I took the plunge and bought Giorgio Armani's Fluid Master Primer. I also recently go my hands on Smashbox's Photofinish foundation primer SPF 15 & Dermaxyl to try. I thought I would give my two cents opinion of what I thought of all three products.

These are somethings which I consider makes a good primer for me.

1) Does not cause me to break out.
2) Helps my make glide smoothly.
3) Helps my foundation last all day with minimal blotting.
4) Reduces the appearance of my open pores.
For the sake of comparison, I used all three primers under my two favourite foundations at the moment when I wear my makeup to work. I'm in and out of an air conditioned room quite often during the course of the day and have to walk about quite a lot. Sometimes its quite humid and I tend to sweat quite a bit too.


Giorgio Armani Fluid Master Primer
Price: $55 USD
Amount: 30 ml
Packaging: Black squeeze bottle
Packaging review: Very easy to squeeze out a small dot. Can't tell how much is left though.
Ingredients: Not able to find
What the website says: An innovative primer for the face that smooths skin's surface, refines pores and creates a flawless canvas on which to apply foundation. Silky, gliding texture imparts a matte, yet transparent glow to skin. Smooths away fine lines and imperfections. Perfectly even facial canvas for ideal application of foundation. High comfort and make-up hold.
Texture: It has a clear gel consistency. When applied, face becomes matte. Has a slipper silicon feel.
Oil control (10 hours of wear): Face was a little glowy by the middle of the day. Needed to blot just once.
Application: So easy to apply foundation with my foundation brush. Foundation literally glides onto face. Foundation looks smooth and natural.
Verdict: Way too expensive. Other than the snob factor that this is GA.

MAC Prep & Prime
Price: $23 USD
Amount: 30 ml
Packaging: Black Bottle with pump
Packaging review: One pump is enough to give you sufficient product for your face. Can't tell how much is left though.
Ingredients: Not able to find
What the website says: An ultra-fluid lotion formulated with special-effect silicones. Calms and soothes the skin, blots away excess oil, and evens out skin redness. Improves the lay down and application of foundation or powder.
Texture: It has a whitish creamy consistency. As compared to GA, face appears less matte. Also has a slipper silicon feel.
Oil control (10 hours of wear): Paired with both Chanel Pro Lumiere and GA Lasting UV foundation, I did not need to blot at all for the whole day.
Application: As compared to GA, I had to use my foundation brush to go over my face a few more times to get it to blend.
Verdict: Value for money. It does its job effectively. Pump ensures that you always get the same amount. Besides you can recycle this in exchange for a MAC lipstick.

Smashbox Photofinish foundation primer
Price: $17 USD
Amount: 15 ml
Packaging: Transparent squeeze bottle
Packaging review: I had a small sachet so can't review. But looks like you can tell how much product you have left from the transparent tube.
Ingredients: ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: 7.5% Octinoxate (Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate), 5.0% Octisalate (Ethylhexyl Salicylate).
What the website says: This anti-aging primer creates the perfect canvas for foundation application. Worn alone or under foundation to increase its longevity, this unique formula helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and pores for visibly softer skin. The revolutionary formula contains DERMAXYL COMPLEX™, an advanced peptide treatment clinically proven to reduce the appearance of wrinkles over time, SPF 15 to guard against harmful UVA/UVB rays, vitamins A & E, grape seed extract and green tea for antioxidant protection.
Texture: It has a translucent gel consistency. Out of all the primers, this feels the most slippery. Face becomes very matte after application.
Oil control (10 hours of wear): Face was a little shiny by the middle of the day. Needed to blot just once.
Application: So easy to apply foundation with my foundation brush. Foundation literally glides onto face. Foundation looks smooth and natural.
Verdict: More expensive than MAC. Somehow I feel it is too slippery. I haven't used this long enough to verify whether it does reduce wrinkles over time. But if it does than this may be one up as compared to MAC. Who doesn't love makeup with skincare benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.